Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of u who have cleaned /painted your headlights give me some hands on feedback. i just redone mine over again. now i have painted then also.but from all my searchs on this ive found rtv sealant sux ass.[66b silicone rtv sealant clear] not the high temp gasket stuff. which was the best to reseal the light? i removed the old tacky stuff due to it was so messy and old.let me start from the top and give me your tip/ideas. i held my light near my garage propane heater and pulled apart very easily with no damage or melting. polished inside with wax and anti fog polish.wet sanded outside 1k grit then 2k grit, then buffed clean and clear. used blue tape on fog/low beam trim ring,wet sanded chrome background and painted it a graphite color almost titanium.but when i removed the blue masking tape it took some chrome paint with it.that sux.but no too noticeable.then filled the gutter around the headlight with a whole tube of rtv and pressed firmly together and put the clips back on and i used a ice cube to smooth the bead of rtv and let dry.by looking at it now dry it looks like this rtv wont last long.it looks like its just gonna dry rot and start to peel like any other silicone.please give some insight on this.

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
I've used that RVT crap twice and both times had fogging problems due to a crappy seal.... I hate that stuff. This last time I just used some clear silicone I had in a big tube for use with a caulking gun and I haven't had a one problem with it in over a year. And talk about easy, fuck all that squeezing with my fingers and hands for a small bead, just pulled the trigger and went to town.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I also used the RTV the first time I re-did my headlight, and it didn't last very long. I got some different clear silicone to re-do it this time around. I just cleaned out all of the old crap in there and went to town with the silicone. I put it back together and stuck it back in the oven at like 225 for like 8 minutes. Then I added some more and let it dry in my house for the night.

We'll see if it's any better as it's only been 3 days so far.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried the tube of 100% silicone and it seems to be the same as rtv. i hope it seals this time.i didnt use an oven just let it set over night before any handleing.i used 1 whole tube of rtv for each headlight. it better hold.i wonder if butyl rubber would be better?or even some 3m strip caulk?wow wouldnt that be the best 3 m strip caulk since it doesnt ever harden? it is used from the factory on some cars.

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
off topic here...
Just wondering... Euphoric, what are those faces in your sig. Kind of creepy... :eek:

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks good man.ill post pics soon. so far so good..i just dont think the rtv clear silicone will hold up long.dont get me wrong i made sure i used a whole tube on each light. and make a clean tight thick bead around all areas affected.even put more on after it was fully assembled. we will see.:rolleyes:

·
DONT HASSLE THE HOFF
893 Posts
blkdawg said:
off topic here...
Just wondering... Euphoric, what are those faces in your sig. Kind of creepy... :eek:
LOL. I had that sig made for Halloween and liked it so much I just kept it.

One of my favorite bands is Tool and in some of their videos they have these fucked up looking characters and these faces just reminded me of them. A buddy of mine just took some regular baby doll faces off an ad and photoshoped them to look like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts