Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing some new rims and ET Streets soon for better traction at the track, and was wondering what you all were running in the front. Also what kind of tire pressure in the rear? Thanks for any help you all can give, as I know alot of you are running these tires and posting some really nice times.

stephen

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
element217 said:
I am thinking about purchasing some new rims and ET Streets soon for better traction at the track, and was wondering what you all were running in the front. Also what kind of tire pressure in the rear? Thanks for any help you all can give, as I know alot of you are running these tires and posting some really nice times.

stephen
I am just running the stock rims up front and BBS 16" rims on back with ET Streets.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

TT_6SPD_95 said:

I am just running the stock rims up front and BBS 16" rims on back with ET Streets.
how is it at higher speeds? does the rear float around bad?...i was considering getting some et streets for next season, but after hearing some of the stories about the rear floating its kinda steering me away

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question was based on the same wondering. Anybody care to enlighten us?

Tony? Angel? Jesus? SW?

I know there are ALOT more people than just Tony running ET streets.

stephen

S

·
0 Posts
element217 said:
My question was based on the same wondering. Anybody care to enlighten us?

Tony? Angel? Jesus? SW?

I know there are ALOT more people than just Tony running ET streets.

stephen
Well I've got some coming in for the Supra, and I am planning on running them with radials in the front. I have run them before on an LS1, and they just take some getting used to. I'm sure a Supra will be a little different though.

They do tend to float a bit at the track because they find all the imperfections. If you run radials up front, it the floating will appear more pronounced in the rear because the street radials will ride over the imperfections and the ET streets will track into them. You will get varying opinions on whether this is safe or recommended. Like I said, I haven't run them on the Supra yet. However, from past experience, it's nothing you can't get used too. In the end, if you hold the wheel straight, you go straight.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Yes, the rear of the car does sway around a little but not nearly as much on the track as it does on the street with low tire pressure...like 10lbs or so. If I have 25-30lbs in them they are pretty stable but you still can't take corners hard or anything like that. One thing not to do is get on it really hard full throttle while racing someone and change lanes while you are full throttle...unless you know how to drive really well...they will do funny things that ZR tires or even Nittos won't do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

gritsak said:

how is it at higher speeds? does the rear float around bad?...i was considering getting some et streets for next season, but after hearing some of the stories about the rear floating its kinda steering me away
I Have run Et Streets on Bogart wheels (16") and stockers up front. I have found the best tire pressure to be 13 psi in most cases.

The car will tend to "drift" a bit on ET Streets, but it is not unmanageable. If the car does get seriously loose, check your rear wheel bearings. If they are even a little worn, the car will drift quite a bit and may even become dangerous. Supras are prone to premature wheel bearing ware. Mine needed replaced after only 30,000 miles.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

supratt96 said:

I Have run Et Streets on Bogart wheels (16") and stockers up front. I have found the best tire pressure to be 13 psi in most cases.

The car will tend to "drift" a bit on ET Streets, but it is not unmanageable. If the car does get seriously loose, check your rear wheel bearings. If they are even a little worn, the car will drift quite a bit and may even become dangerous. Supras are prone to premature wheel bearing ware. Mine needed replaced after only 30,000 miles.
What were your 60' times and 1/8 mile times with ET Streets? Did you run the 26x11.5?

D

·
0 Posts
IM STICKIN TO DR'S AFTER SEEING A COUPLE OF SUPRA'S TAG THE WALL ON ET'S. THEY SAY ET'S + IRS CAN = KISS THE WALL.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
deavenly1 said:
IM STICKIN TO DR'S AFTER SEEING A COUPLE OF SUPRA'S TAG THE WALL ON ET'S. THEY SAY ET'S + IRS CAN = KISS THE WALL.
Just make sure you get the BFG's...people that are using these are not doing much better on ET Streets. I am thinking about getting some myself. I always hear of people doing really good 60' times with them...almost as good as when they use ET Streets.
But...they are like ET Streets more than nitto drag radials. The NItto's last forever because they are more of a TRUE drag radial and they don't have much problems with taking corners...but they don't 60' nearly as good.

One of my friends here just got BFG's for his car and he was running nitto's before that...he said that the BFG's definately do not corner as good as the nitto's and the BFG's are already wearing out where his nittos were still good and he had them for at least 6 months. There is also a local vette around here that I am good friends with and he has already went through his BFG's and has only put 1000 miles on them....they are kind of like ET Streets in that they just don't last. But what do you expect you can't have the best of both worlds.;)

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

supratt96 said:

If the car does get seriously loose, check your rear wheel bearings. If they are even a little worn, the car will drift quite a bit and may even become dangerous. Supras are prone to premature wheel bearing ware. Mine needed replaced after only 30,000 miles.
How much does replacement cost? It may be a good preventative measure to take.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

Supreme said:

How much does replacement cost? It may be a good preventative measure to take.
I forget the cost of the parts, but it was not expensive. It is not a major job and should take a competant mechanic no more than a couple hours.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

TT_6SPD_95 said:

What were your 60' times and 1/8 mile times with ET Streets? Did you run the 26x11.5?
I did run the 26 x 11.5s. Best 60' was 1.460. Best 1/8 was 6.506 @ 106.21.

Although, as some people have mentioned, it is possible to get nearly the same performance on BFGs (my best was 1.496), you will not be able to do it with consistancy. It is much more "hit or miss" with the BFGs.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

supratt96 said:

I did run the 26 x 11.5s. Best 60' was 1.460. Best 1/8 was 6.506 @ 106.21.

Although, as some people have mentioned, it is possible to get nearly the same performance on BFGs (my best was 1.496), you will not be able to do it with consistancy. It is much more "hit or miss" with the BFGs.
When you did your 1.46 on ET Streets do you remember your tire pressure? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

TT_6SPD_95 said:

When you did your 1.46 on ET Streets do you remember your tire pressure? Thanks for your input.
13 psi, cold.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

supratt96 said:

13 psi, cold.
Thats the exact pressure I used to run "cold" before I got the 2-step...after I installed the 2-step I immediately went down to 10.5lbs without even trying out the 13lbs because I thought it would spin the tires with 13lbs...but that was a mistake because I just spun the tires with 10.0-10.5lbs in the ET Streets...doing 1.63-1.66 60' times. I have since found that the ET Streets are now showing threads, so they are trash...not sure if this might have been the reason for spinning or not because the other variable in this is that the track was not prepped at all that day since there were literally only 10 cars at the track that night...it was Halloween. I am going to get BFG's on my stock 17's and then I might get the ET Streets again after that.

One more question is how long do you do your burn off on the BFG's and do you have anyone put VHT on them for you?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Those with ET Streets...

TT_6SPD_95 said:

Thats the exact pressure I used to run "cold" before I got the 2-step...after I installed the 2-step I immediately went down to 10.5lbs without even trying out the 13lbs because I thought it would spin the tires with 13lbs...but that was a mistake because I just spun the tires with 10.0-10.5lbs in the ET Streets...doing 1.63-1.66 60' times. I have since found that the ET Streets are now showing threads, so they are trash...not sure if this might have been the reason for spinning or not because the other variable in this is that the track was not prepped at all that day since there were literally only 10 cars at the track that night...it was Halloween. I am going to get BFG's on my stock 17's and then I might get the ET Streets again after that.

One more question is how long do you do your burn off on the BFG's and do you have anyone put VHT on them for you?
If your ET streets are badly worn, that would certainly effect your launch. My car is an auto, so the best tire pressure for me might not be the best for you. A six speed on a two step will definitely hit the tires harder than an auto.

I do about a six to 8 second burnout, no VHT. Good track prep is key. Without it, you will be lucky to get better than low 1.6s no matter what you do. I have found that lining up with race cars that are running slicks instead of the street cars is a better way to go. You might get your ass kicked (or you might not), but at least you will have a good rubber track to line up in instead of the greasy residue that regular radial tires leave behind.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts