Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

My car is going on a permanent diet. LOL First thing I plan on doing is a lightweight battery. I've been doing tons of research today and still have a few questions for you guys with lightweight batteries....

For both the Odyssey and Genesis battery, we have the option of getting them with or w/o a metal jacket. From what I've gathered, it weighs about 1-2 lbs and is recomended for temperatures that exceed 113 F. For those who have these batteries, did you get the metal jacket? I'm sure it easily gets over 113 F under the hood, especially us boosted guys, right?

For those with the Hawker Genesis battery, how did you securely mount it to the car? Please explain, and or show pics.

For those with the Hawker Odyssey battery, did you buy the optional hold down? (See link) I know some of you did after searching and reading several threads. So, how well does it bolt down to our existing battery tray/chassis?
Link: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/pc680hd.htm

Also, did you mount it vertically, or horizontally? Will the cables reach if mounted horizontally?

From what I've gathered from various sites, this is what I've come up with. Anyone know any different?

Hawker Genesis G13EP w/o the metal jacket--11 lbs ??? CCA
Hawker Genesis G13EPX w the metal jacket--12 lbs ??? CCA
Hawker Odyssey PC680 w/o metal jacket--14 lbs 220 CCA
Hawker Odyssey PC680MJT w metal jacket--15 lbs 220 CCA

It seems like most people on here who have lightweight batteries have the Odyssey battery. Why? I'm thinking the Genesis battery and save an extra few pounds. :) What do you guys think? Any reason not to go with the Genesis? They're roughly the same price too.

Anyone runnin' the Braille battery?
http://mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=244
Anyone runnin' the Dyna-Batt battery?
http://www.performancedistributors.com/batteries.htm
If so, why did you choose that one over the Odyssey or Genesis? From what I've gathered, they are the same as the Odyssey and Genesis, but mucho $$$. Please enlighten me otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

·
HIGH ON PSI
1,040 Posts
i bought the Hawker Genesis G13EP and mounted it horizontally using a battery holder made by someone on this forum. the quality is VERY GOOD and its light....2-3lbs. contact DannyT if youre interested. his bro makes them. atached is a pic.

this battery (w/o metal jacket) has been on my car for about 8 months now and ive had no problems with it. the one with the metal jacket probably wont work with the battery holder.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
i used the AMS 14lb battery... 660cca $120 but only lasted 6 months before a dead cell

i suggest relocation of a redtop, becuase sometimes redistribution is better than loss

for example, take a big tit, big waist, small ass woman... now redistribute some of that weight into the ass, and your left with big tits, small waist, big ass... doesnt that seem better than just losing it all together?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have the oddysey and Genisis Hawker . They are the same battery !!! One is black one is red . They are both at 14#. I have had No problems with either , however the Genesis seems to die easier if a car door is left open over night !!
John

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NYC 93 2JZGTE,

Thanks for your input. :) Your custom battery holder looks awesome!

Does your custom battery holder mount to existing holes/threads or did you have to drill new holes?

Any pics of the holder by itself?

Did you have a reason why you chose the Hawker vs the other batteries I mentioned?

Swearitsstock,

Did your battery die to natural causes, or did your car sit for day/weeks w/o being driven? I understand your re-distribution point, but I won't be relocating the battery to the trunk until the day comes when my turbos die and I upgrade the intake manifold.

Venemous TT,

Did you opt for the metal jacket on either one?
How did you mount your battery?

Anyone else care to add your knowledge/experience?

·
Under Construction
761 Posts
The Dyna-Batt is a rebranded Odyssey.

I have had the 680 for about 2.5 years now with no problems. Every car is different but if yours is not a daily driver, it would be a good idea to plan on buying a battery tender. Mine can go about a week before I have any problems. Just remember the smaller the battery the less reserve time you have. No more just hanging out with your system bumpin.

I had a crappy battery holder made by a shop to hold it down.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
EVL TTWN said:
NYC 93 2JZGTE,

Thanks for your input. :) Your custom battery holder looks awesome!

Does your custom battery holder mount to existing holes/threads or did you have to drill new holes?

Any pics of the holder by itself?

Did you have a reason why you chose the Hawker vs the other batteries I mentioned?

Swearitsstock,

Did your battery die to natural causes, or did your car sit for day/weeks w/o being driven? I understand your re-distribution point, but I won't be relocating the battery to the trunk until the day comes when my turbos die and I upgrade the intake manifold.

Venemous TT,

Did you opt for the metal jacket on either one?
How did you mount your battery?

Anyone else care to add your knowledge/experience?
these kinds of small batteries tend to get deep cycled under normal driving conditions... since the battery is smaller, it holds a smaller amount of energy, causing it to constantly be recharged by the alternator... this kind of constant charging causes the plates (inside the electrolyte) to detiorate and over a short time they will fail (because a cell will have plate deposit at the bottom of the jacket, causing the two plates to short circuit which = a dead cell)

my car tends to sit on weekdays but it sees a couple hundred miles every weekend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts