Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescently purchased a map ECU and I plan to remove the maf very soon.

I would like to retain the stock airbox.

So far the only option I have seen is to buy the HKS VPC tube, and HKS mega-flow filter. What other alternative are out there?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Mine was done by the last owner, but it's a custom-made intake tube with a K&N filter. Total was $400, including labor and the filter, but it doesn't include an air box. :(

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
make it out of aluminum pipe... know how to tig? if not take it to someone to make if for you

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SupraDupaFlyBoy said:
make it out of aluminum pipe... know how to tig? if not take it to someone to make if for you
I priced this out and they want 200.00 just to even start the project! I need to keep the cost below the HKS VPC tube for this to be worth it.

- Randy

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
If you want to keep the stock airbox then I would suggest to take your MAF and remove the whole crap inside of it´s tube and just keep the tube (or housing) of it.
Then it will look clean and no hasseling with adaption to the OEM box;)
Gerd

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hefti2 said:
If you want to keep the stock airbox then I would suggest to take your MAF and remove the whole crap inside of it´s tube and just keep the tube (or housing) of it.
Then it will look clean and no hasseling with adaption to the OEM box;)
Gerd
That would be the best option except I will probally need the MAF installed again someday.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VINZE said:
Map Ecu + Stock Airbox = Why?
Remember that my stock airbox is "cut" to allow air to come in through the front.

- Randy

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Pwr4all said:
That would be the best option except I will probally need the MAF installed again someday.
Yeah, but you can get those all over for around 60 or 70 bucks since a lot of people going MAP ECU or AEM or whatever ... ;)
Or search for a defective one in the search/for sale section for like 10 bucks or so:)
Then you are all good. :bigthumb:
Gerd

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I didn't pay a red cent for this! Just go to the muffler shop and ask for one of their SS tube drops. Then, expand the end to slip-fit into the air box and you're done. Keep you MAF for later and don't go with a damn pod filter- waste of money.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MtFujiSupra said:
I didn't pay a red cent for this! Just go to the muffler shop and ask for one of their SS tube drops. Then, expand the end to slip-fit into the air box and you're done. Keep you MAF for later and don't go with a damn pod filter- waste of money.

Have any pictures of this?

- Randy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hefti2 said:
Yeah, but you can get those all over for around 60 or 70 bucks since a lot of people going MAP ECU or AEM or whatever ... ;)
Or search for a defective one in the search/for sale section for like 10 bucks or so:)
Then you are all good. :bigthumb:
Gerd

I ended up buying a stock maf that I plan to gut. It's amazing how much space the element sensor takes up!

- Randy

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Right. The huge black plastic piece inside is a big thing...
I think that way is the most convinient and decent looking one for your aims with the stock airbox.
Have fun with the MAP ECU :) I like mine..
Gerd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts