Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type of gasket does the throttle body need in between itself and the intake manifold? i found these in my gasket kit, but they don't fit exactly to the t. :rant2:

·
1jz FTW!
369 Posts
It looks just like all of those but none of those work. If its a Felpro gasket kit, I had the same problem. The metal one fits and leaks. And the other is obviously too small. I had to buy another. Either way I have 2 real throttle body gaskets and only need one so if you want ive got one for you. Just pay the shipping. PM me if your intrested.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i just made one out of a corona beer carton. put a little FIPG on both sides, cut it out to shape. it works perfectly, and doesn't leak. :)

-shaeff

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Me and my buddy are having the same problem with a different gasket on a cheap ass gasket kit. We're gonna do what shaeff just suggested.

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
shaeff said:
i just made one out of a corona beer carton. put a little FIPG on both sides, cut it out to shape. it works perfectly, and doesn't leak. :)

-shaeff
^ Trace & cut up cardboard, make the 4 bolt mounting holes and cut out a perfectly round center hole, coat with both sides with FIPG and hope it holds up to engine heat. <Crazy, Just buy a new one. I did. $3.50 from Toyota.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
22271-42040

What Mike said. There's no point in not getting a new one. You'll spend more time trying to make your own than it's worth.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
werewolves182 said:
It looks just like all of those but none of those work. If its a Felpro gasket kit, I had the same problem. The metal one fits and leaks. And the other is obviously too small. I had to buy another. Either way I have 2 real throttle body gaskets and only need one so if you want ive got one for you. Just pay the shipping. PM me if your intrested.

shit, i just put a felpro gasket kit on my car. i only did the intake manifold. do those leak as well??

·
Registered
934 Posts
velocityUNLEASHED said:
what type of gasket does the throttle body need in between itself and the intake manifold? i found these in my gasket kit, but they don't fit exactly to the t. :rant2:

I have the same exact gaskets from a cheap APEX kit I got on Ebay.. I used the blue one and just cut the hole larger to make it fit. I also put some gasket sealent around it for extra insurance.
I had no idea the metal one was a throttle body gasket. I i thought it was an NA gasket or something lol.

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
[/QUOTE=werewolves182]It looks just like all of those but none of those work. If its a Felpro gasket kit, I had the same problem. The metal one fits and leaks. And the other is obviously too small. I had to buy another.......................[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE=1988SupraDreams]Me and my buddy are having the same problem with a different gasket on a cheap ass gasket kit. We're gonna do what shaeff just suggested.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE=KINGPIN33]I have the same exact gaskets from a cheap APEX kit I got on Ebay.. I used the blue one and just cut the hole larger to make it fit. I also put some gasket sealent around it for extra insurance.
I had no idea the metal s a throttle body gasket. I i thought it was an NA gasket or something lol.[/QUOTE]

^Toyota gasket sets have the right gaskets because the are Turbo/NA & year specific. Sure OEM cost more but IMO they are definitely worth the price difference over the other cheaper brands. Better quality seals/gaskets with no left over unused gaskets that you're paying for.
My Toyota complete engine set ($200+) had all the correct gaskets for my 92T. The only gasket that I did not use was the newest released stock HG. < Any one want it, I'll sell it cheap!
Mike

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
did it have all the gaskets on the turbo? like turbo to manifold and elbow, ect?

I have some leaks that are driving me absolutely nuts and thinking that I just want to go through the engine and replace all the gaskets the right way and be done with it...

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ that would solve your problem, and others that you werent aware of... dont forget the head gasket! :faint:

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
Poodles said:
did it have all the gaskets on the turbo? like turbo to manifold and elbow, ect?

^ Most with some exceptions. Kit had a new s/s (original was copper) turbo to ex. manifold but not the turbo to elbow because I'm guessing you're suppose to break the turbo at the exhaust manifold and at the downpipe to elbow which I did not do because I had to replace my turbo. I just re-used the original copper turbo to elbow gasket since it looked fine once I cleaned it.
The kit did include a new downpipe to elbow gasket. The turbo oil feed/ return and water pipe mounting gaskets were included for turbo & block. Kit includes all the new copper and aluminum O ring type for the fuel system and turbo water pipe, the 2 metal seals at the banjo fitting at the back of the head and 2 metal oil pressure banjo bolt. It even included a new rubber O ring seal for the oil fill cap along with a new oil drain plug gasket.
Mike

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
KINGPIN33 said:
I think the cheaper gaskets for everything else would be fine. But get the OEM toyota head gasket.
^ I'd agree with you with the paper type gaskets used on the front cover, water pump etc. but IMO the Toyota furnished oil seals such as the camshafts, oil pump drive and the front/rear crank seals are of a better quality. Had the same "NOK" along with a rotation arrow as the originals I removed of which none were leaking with 115k miles. IMO, seals & gaskets are far too important to skimp on when doing a engine rebuild.
I'm a firm believer in "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" < It's been my experience.
Mike

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
I'm a firm believer in "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" < It's been my experience.
Mike
:werd: i totaly agree with you... for the most part.. there are some really good deals out there, one in particular is ebay intercoolers :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
hey. i just did the same thing i needed a throtal body gasket and i got just what you have. the new hasket with a realy tiny hole. i thought they fucked up, but all i did was put that gasket on my throtal body, put the TB in a vise with a rag around the TB put 4 bolts in the TB with tha gasket and then took a ball peen hammer and lightly taped around the gasket right on the edge of the throtal body. it made a perfact imprint of the TB. so just go lightly and the edgs of the TB will cut the gasket.
harry

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
i just did it to get by. (though, i'll admit, it's still in there over 1k miles later). i was troubleshooting my car when i got the swap done, and that was one of my problems. i was working out in my garage at 12:30am with spotlights all around me. after i finally found the problem (clogged fuel filter/softline), i fixed the leak in the manner i mentioned above. i have a new toyota gasket waiting to go in, but i installed my 11x8 oil cooler, and 180* oil T-stat today instead :p )

-shaeff

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
shaeff said:
i just did it to get by. (though, i'll admit, it's still in there over 1k miles later). i was troubleshooting my car when i got the swap done, and that was one of my problems. i was working out in my garage at 12:30am with spotlights all around me. after i finally found the problem (clogged fuel filter/softline), i fixed the leak in the manner i mentioned above. i have a new toyota gasket waiting to go in, but i installed my 11x8 oil cooler, and 180* oil T-stat today instead :p )

-shaeff
^Ok, Hack status rescinded, LOL

Mike

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The Felpro hg works well. lol. It appears to be an exact replica of the OEM hg. I'm guessing the material may not be as pure, but oh well it seems to work well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that blue paper gasket fits the screw holes, but is short on the air jackets on the outside portion of the throttle body. should i use it or order from toyota/pepboys? i'm working outta my garage just like the resta youss!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts