Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own one? My wife wants to check them out. Seem really small from what I remember seeing at a car show. do you own one? hows it ride? reliability, etc..

· Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
12,986 Posts
Yeggy has one IIRC. I have only driven the hardtops and they are a fucking blast. It rides a bit firm, but not uncomfortable. They handle amazing and the S/C ones are obviously a bit more fun. Reliability I have zero clue, I havent heard any no start mornings, but I dont know specifics - try the cooper boards. I really like them and they are a breeze to park in the city.

12,986 Posts

· Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took one out for a little drive the other day... Have to admit its a fun little car with the key word being little... not a whole lotta room in there but bigger than I expected. Im over 6' and I fit fine. Thing handles like a go kart. Add a few options to the cooper S conv and youre close to $30K but compared to what else is out there in that price range it aint bad. Probably will end up ordering one.. Black on black with a few options.. No works kit.. not yet at least...

12,986 Posts
yeah as far as small 4+ seater converts you really can only go with like the Mini, Pt Cruiser, Beetle, the G6 is kind of smallish and thats about it. - I think Mini is a good choice. I really enjoy driving them hard.

· Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and the low rate of depreciation isnt bad too.. I figure its something to keep her happy until toyota or lexus comes out with a real drop top.. solara isnt all that great and the SC is an old guy car.

· DFA Motorsports
2,674 Posts
The wife's got a mini Hardtop 5sp with the sport seats and handingling package. No supercharger though. Fun Little car,great for autox good MPG. The bad, The cd player went out twice, the driver side window motor has burned out twice. Its at 40k miles right now and it doesnt always want to go into reverse ill have to press the clutch down 2-4 times before it will go and it will always grind (getting that fixed this week somtime) and the clutch just started feeling really mushy within the last 400 miles. There was a recall on the battery (which i already replaced)... sport steering wheel is peeling.. I think thats it. But mini is going to fix everything so I will say they have a good warrenty plan.

12,986 Posts
its funny, since you started this thread I started looking at the reliability of them more - seems its too great. But those I know with Mini's havent really had any problems. Could be some big problem child cars like DinnerTime's out there..

· Super Moderator
14,017 Posts
I have some friends that work at the local BMW/Mini dealership here and I've heard lots of stories about unreliablity.. A friend of mine dated a girl with one of the CVT auto NA convertibles and the goddamned tranny died twice before she got rid of it, had all of 6k miles on it when she sold it, and she drove it like a camry.
Another friend's mom has a 5-spd NA convertible and the top had some problems sealing and the power seat quit working.. but has otherwise been okay. Those are the only two people I know first hand that have mini droptops though.

· Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
putting a deposit on a mini cooper S drop top 6 speed this weekend. Black on black with many options... thing is loaded! Everything but NAV.

they say it should take 2 months to get....

12,986 Posts

· Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what it should look like if they dont mess up my order... (not sure what the silver car on the right is doing there..

another cool mini I came across online similar to what the wifes will look like.

· Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
finally going to order it tonight.. got sick and then got busy with work.. ended up going with red, rally lights, sports, cold weather and premium package, lsd, and so on.. just a tick above $30K... Seems like a lot but the wife likes it and I have to admit it is a fun car to drive. Managable HP and killer handling. 6 to 7 weeks to build and deliver.

Tried calling around over the weekend to see if I could get a deal. Every mini dealer said the same line, we dont deal, we may be able to throw in some floor matts. WTF?! Price fixing at its finest!!

Now its off to figure out what I can get the IS350 for. At least lexus will negotiate!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.