Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to do a custom sound system in my 94 MSB TT and these are the products that I will use:

1 Eclipse CD5441 head unit
1 MTX 6304 amplifier to run front and rear speakers
1 MTX 6500D amplifier to run the sub(s)
1 set of MTX T3.6 components in front door(for now)
1 set of Cerwin-Wega SS-252 in the rear side pannels(for now)
1 or 2 Phoenix Gold XMAX 10" sub(s)
1 Custom built box, by me. :D
4 GA power wire to a fused distribution block with 2 8 GA power wires running to the amps.
Phoenix Gold XS series RCA patch cables
12 GA speaker wire

I think that is it, but I could be forgetting something. Anyways, what do you all think of this setup?

Later
Donatas

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just finished installing my system and I used those exact same amps. I put in:

Alpine 7875 cd player
Alpine 6.5 components spr-175a for front
Alpine 6.5 coax spr-172b for rear
two Alpine 10" type r 1040d's single voice coil (4ohm each) to take full advantage of the 6500 at 2 ohm
mtx 6500
mtx 6304

I ran the RF install kit which has a 4 gauge power with a distribution block and a 4 gauge ground with a distribution block. I ran 8 gauge out of both blocks to the amps. I used 12 gauge wire for the subs. The kit also came with rca's and all other needed wires. I also put my subs in a home made box. I think it sounds killer. I hope to post some pics soon. Good luck!
:D

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
Dont forget a cap, those amps will be draining power from the battery. Other then that, it is looking good. I am in the process of putting together a system for my car also. I am thinking about going all JL Audio, dont know yet. But I do know I love my new face, Pinoeer 9300 Premeier w/ in dash CD changer. :D Bling Bling....LOL

DakaDan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree the amps will be draining power, especially at night. I do not have a cap in my system because I plan on buying the alternator upgrade from PHR/MVP so I will not have to worry about it. The alternator upgrade replaces the stock 90 amp on the 6 spd to a 175 amp alternator :eek: I do not want to have to deal with all the crap associated with having a cap (charging/draining, possible chance of explosion, ect...). By the time you buy a nice cap you will have spent a fairly large percentage of the price of the alternator upgrade. Thats how I am rationalizing it to myself anyway :D

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
From what I seen Caps are about 100-150 from Rockford Fosgate.. The best thing to do would be to get the upgraded alternator, but isnt it like 500-600 bucks?!?!

DakaDan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well the prices of caps can go upwards of $250. They actually have two upgraded alternator options available. The first one is 150 amps and it costs $499 and the 175 amp one is $699. I totally agree that is a lot of money but in the long run it will definitely be worth it. Everytime you need to disconnect the battery for something you have to discharge the cap because if you don't it can explode and that would obviously be a bad thing. Also the cap is only good for so many cycles (charge/discharge) before it will need to be replaced. If you want to go past bpu and you end up with dual electric fans and dual fuel pumps, gauges galore, ect.. you will thank yourself for getting the alternator upgrade. I am not saying everyone should go this route. I am just putting that out there for him to think about. :)

T

·
0 Posts
For that setup all you need is a 1 Farad Cap...

I can get one for about 90$ Let me know if you're interested.

Also an Optima Battery wouldn't be a bad idea...

S

·
0 Posts
I am thinking about getting that exact same head unit, the CD5441.. but is it worth it to spend $450 for it?

Also, why are you putting different speakers in the front and rear?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Simi said:
I am thinking about getting that exact same head unit, the CD5441.. but is it worth it to spend $450 for it?

Also, why are you putting different speakers in the front and rear?
I will be able to tell you more about the head unit later this week. I wiil be installing it some time this weekend. From what I have heard and from my experience, a friend of mine has it in his VW Bug show car, it sounds awesome. Extremely clear and natural sounding.

Like the original post says, I will be replacing the front and rear speakers, except now the plans have changed.

In the front doors, I will be installing Kicker Resolution RS6c Components, instead of the MTX.
In the rear, I will be installing the MTX T3.6 separates instead of the Cerwin Vega.

I should have it all done by next weekend. I will post pictures and my impressions as well.

Later
Donatas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts