Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the bolts on my exhaust headers are coming loose and 3 are missing. This is on a T78 kit. Should I have used thread lock on the bolts? I thought I should have but I have had some bad experiences removing bolts with thread lock.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
i hear ya
i also hate thread lock.

but i think they make one which will only come off with hand tools but wont wiggle free.

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys gentlemen.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Neither thread lock, nor conventional lock washers will work. you are using studs, right?

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Studs are being used. The factory studs had be be replaced with the studs that came with the T78 kit because the factory were too long for the header to fit. I am using the studs that came with the kit and a nut on the stud, most of them were so loose that I could hand tighten them after 3000 miles.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
are you using factory nuts?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
they tend to lose thier hardness due to the heat, and end up just flatening out... then they turn into normal washers. Mechanical locking nuts are the best.

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I am using the nuts that came witht eh kit and I gave away the factory nuts, damn. Can I get the locking nuts elsewhere or do I need to go to the dealer?

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
use mechanical locking nuts or torque, then re-torque after a few heat cycles.

Thread locker is useless due to heat, lock washers are useless in most cases (not just due to heat). A lock washer discussion could take many pages!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts