Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres what i am doing 1990 7-MGTE into a 1986.5 N/A body someone tell me if i am right on all of this.( I have tried searching and well search is being gay with a capitol G). and I just want one thread to clear up my confused mind
I will need a 89+ harness and a 89+ ECU (turbo Manual) do i need any kinda newer X-member or Motor Mounts????? and will I have to mod to harness ???
Thanks in Advance for all the help I am so ready to get this beast back on the road!
:bowdown:

·
way over budget
664 Posts
since your car is an 86.5 you need an 87 or 88 turbo harnes and ECU, they need to match the car. Use the motor mounts off whatever engine you're pulling out of your car and you won't need to do any crossmember swapping. You may need to change some of the sensors on the enine due to some plugs changing shape after 89.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
you will also need the ignitor ,

some of the sensor's are the same but with different connectors..

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i need the 89+ ignitor right?

and how much cutting has to be done to a 87-88 harness for it to run a 90 motor ?
do i still have to put a HAC sensor on it??

my car is sitting in the shop laughing at how much of a pain it is being :rofl:

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
mustangman05 said:
i need the 89+ ignitor right?

and how much cutting has to be done to a 87-88 harness for it to run a 90 motor ?
do i still have to put a HAC sensor on it??

my car is sitting in the shop laughing at how much of a pain it is being :rofl:
1] Ignitors are not year-dependent.
2] Don't even try to mod the old harness- it's not going to happen.
3] HAC is internal to ECU on the 89+.

Good luck.

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Larry_A said:
1] Ignitors are not year-dependent.
2] Don't even try to mod the old harness- it's not going to happen.
3] HAC is internal to ECU on the 89+.

Good luck.
This is the mod from early to late looms the rest is plug in play

Spare blue/white is for air con fans secound switch (not used)

EDIT:Lets be clear this is for MA70 turbo early yellow plug hac sensor ecu and loom upgrade TO grey plug internal hac sensor 89+ ecu WITH matching loom on this upgrade ALL plugs other than power feed and ecu temp sensor cold start injector timer switch are same

This post relates to non turbo to turbo loom conversion this is best covered buy this link .....http://www.4cefed.com/

My picture shows the finishing touch needed from yellow plug to grey plug ecus applies to turbo models only Mmm'kay

My bad.

Thanks for using the search :nervous:

:rockon:

·
JZS161 Aristo TT
881 Posts
Larry_A said:
An '87-'88 turbo harness to 89+ ECU? Not PnP. :1poke:
To answer the orginal post

mustangman05 said:
I will need a 89+ harness and a 89+ ECU (turbo Manual) do i need any kinda newer X-member or Motor Mounts?????

89+ Loom WITH a 89 ecu this is the only plug OTHER than two temp sensors the rest is plug in play :sadance:

But this is NA to 89+turbo there will be a few dash loom issues

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
gads. way too much misinfo in this thread....have some fact!

mustangman05 said:
Ok heres what i am doing 1990 7-MGTE into a 1986.5 N/A body someone tell me if i am right on all of this.( I have tried searching and well search is being gay with a capitol G). and I just want one thread to clear up my confused mind
I will need a 89+ harness and a 89+ ECU (turbo Manual) do i need any kinda newer X-member or Motor Mounts????? and will I have to mod to harness ???
Thanks in Advance for all the help I am so ready to get this beast back on the road!
:bowdown:
1. goto my site and READ the swap info there.

2. to attempt a '90 harness/ECU in an '86.5 and is insanity. there are SO many wiring differences, you'll be completely bald from pulling your hair out fairly quickly....get yourself a <'88 engine wiring harness + ECU. realize you will have to swap a few sensors around as the plugs changed in '90.

3. the '89+ round engine mounts WILL NOT work in your '86.5 crossmember. get some <'88 engine mounts + brackets.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
www.4cefed.com

that got me through the swap the first time. if you don't see the info there, read it again, it's all there. ;)

and i thought i'd delve into making the '89+ harness work in my 86.5 chassis. heh, good luck on that one. i just saved that harness to use as spare connectors. just buy an '87-88 harness, ECU, and HAC sensor (pre'89's have an external HAC), plug it in and be done.

instead of changing sensors, i just swapped connectors on the engine side. it's like 3 at most if i remember right. :)

-shaeff

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Jason T said:
To answer the orginal post

89+ Loom WITH a 89 ecu this is the only plug OTHER than two temp sensors the rest is plug in play :sadance:

But this is NA to 89+turbo there will be a few dash loom issues
As with most threads here on SFs, the orignal question got lost as it progressed.

I wasn't answering his original post. I answered his question:
.....and how much cutting has to be done to a 87-88 harness for it to run a 90 motor ?
To do what he is asking is nuts, if he is using the later model ECU.

Take care.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
drjonez said:
as always, nope! :bowdown:
Hello Adam,
Heh, OK, you had me worried there. You know more than I do, so although your comments are multitudinous, I still pay attention after all these years. LOL. It's been awhile since I read your conversion page, but IIRC, it answers all of this guy's questions. Condensed version? Must have the right parts & know where they go.

Take care.

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so <88 ECU harness just change a few sensors or plugs on the motor itself and all will work right???

BTW: I am gonna keep you guys up to date with pics once i get started

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Larry_A said:
Hello Adam,
Heh, OK, you had me worried there. You know more than I do, so although your comments are multitudinous, I still pay attention after all these years. LOL. It's been awhile since I read your conversion page, but IIRC, it answers all of this guy's questions. Condensed version? Must have the right parts & know where they go.

Take care.
thanks for the compliments lar, but don't sell yourself short!

mustangman05 said:
ok so <88 ECU harness just change a few sensors or plugs on the motor itself and all will work right???
correct!

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
drjonez said:
the '89+ round engine mounts WILL NOT work in your '86.5 crossmember. get some <'88 engine mounts + brackets.
by brackets you mean the peice with the 4 bolt holes in it that actually touches the motor?

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
i am about to drop in a 89 motor in 86.5 it's easy as but time consuming when you know how to wire stuff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts