Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do brief write-ups on each:

1) Bolt-on Cobra - was returning home from dropping off the babysitter at about 11:00pm and came up on a white 2003+ Cobra that didn't sound stock. We lined up and did a 40 mph punch (me brake boosted in 2nd gear). I pulled right away and we shut it down at about 100 mph with me about 3 cars ahead I guess. He did better than I thought he would. We slowed to talk. He said he had an exhaust and intake, but no pulley. Nice guy.

2) H/C Z06 - never got to line up fair and square with this guy due to traffic. We were on a feeder road and he buzzed by me and gave me a rev when the guy in front of me slowed to turn. I changed lanes and followed him. There was a car in front of him for about 30 seconds, so I just continued to follow. Then the entrance to the Hwy came up the and car in front of him didn't take it, so I knew he would go WOT. I went to 2nd gear and lightly brake boosted, and I saw him go for it. I went WOT, wound out 2nd gear then bumped it to "D". From 50 mph all the way to about 95 ish mph we looked to be dead even, with my car possibly gaining a few feet when in 3rd gear. I was headed to the mall and he just happened to be going that way as well. He signaled with his hand to pull into a Wal-Mart parking lot so we stopped to talk. He said he had full heads and cam with no cats. He said he dyno'd 455 rwhp. I was like "What!" (thinking he should have pulled me resoundingly). He then said that I was gaining on him during our pull. I told him I though we were even. We gave props and then went our ways.

3) 427 Shelby Cobra Kit Car - I'm assuming it was a kit car (who would drive a real one on the street?). Had 427 bading on the fenders and was red with white stripes. Carroll Shelby Cobra license plate frame. I was on the way to Home Depot and hit a red light (engineered by me on purpose of course!). I gave him a thumbs-up but didn't say anything. I power braked and hit it when the light went green, but he didn't bite. I was now far in front of him so I had to guess which way he'd be going. At the entrance to a three lane hwy I turned right and he followed, YES! He pulled up at about 50 mph and wanted to do a pull. I put it in 2nd and brake boosted. We hit it at the same time and I started to pull right away, especially when it shifted to 3rd gear. He shut it down at 90 to 95 mph and slowed. I slowed and he said he missed a gear. I asked him if he wanted to do it again and he said yes. By this time we had slowed to 20 mph so we could hear each other talking. I put it in 1st this time and brake boosted. We went WOT at the same time and he was even with me until 2nd gear then I started to pull away. He again shut it down early (this time at 80 ish) and flipped a u-turn.

That was a good weekend! I was on 100 octane and I'm BPU with a fuel controller and FMIC. Not bad for a 115,000 mile car on stock twins (an auto no less!). I love what you do for me Toyyota!.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Blitz FMIC and an S-AFC II fuel controller. Boost was 19 to 20 psi on a 50/50 mix of 93 and 104

·
Revolutionary Brotha
35 Posts
Droppin off the babysitter at 11 eh...... :dunno:

Jus messin with ya man. Good kill man, three good cars all in one day.

Will

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep; former owner drove it 100 miles a day commuting. No biggee to me though. This car is for me and I'm going to drive it. I didn't buy it for an investment that I want to sell in XX years. I have no regrets about driving this car long distances due to "running up the miles". The miles are already on it and I got it for a pretty good price; a Quicksilver no less.

Low mileage Supras that never get driven are for the birds IMHO. Now if I had a 2nd Supra with low miles I would keep it that way.

I probably have one of the highest mileage 1998s, but I do have a Quicksilver and I love the automatic. Besides, isn't beating late model cars with a high mileage Supra just that much better? 115,000 miles and still pulling strong on the original stock turbos. Again, I love what you do for me Toyota.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
fencekey said:
Yep; former owner drove it 100 miles a day commuting. No biggee to me though. This car is for me and I'm going to drive it. I didn't buy it for an investment that I want to sell in XX years. I have no regrets about driving this car long distances due to "running up the miles". The miles are already on it and I got it for a pretty good price; a Quicksilver no less.

Low mileage Supras that never get driven are for the birds IMHO. Now if I had a 2nd Supra with low miles I would keep it that way.

I probably have one of the highest mileage 1998s, but I do have a Quicksilver and I love the automatic. Besides, isn't beating late model cars with a high mileage Supra just that much better? 115,000 miles and still pulling strong on the original stock turbos. Again, I love what you do for me Toyota.
Good to know you drive your car, insted of letting it sit :bigok: +1 for 3 good kills and for driving your car, and not letting it sit like a "garage queen" :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Droppin off the babysitter at 11 eh......"

You got it. I have three kids and look forward to going out with my wife once or twice a month.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The kit car must have had the smaller engine in it. There is a local guy here who has a blue w/white racing stripes. I tried to race him one time and was blown away big time! This thing was scary fast. He pulled over and just listening to his engine rumble was evident enough that it was far from stock. It was a 427 that was sent off to a Nascar engine builder in Arkansas, who apparently built it to racing specs, then reassembled it. He said once he got it back it dynoed 580rwhp without spray (which he had) I was like "DAMN!" Then i asked how much his setup weighed and he told me without him in the car it comes in just under 2400lbs!! I just laughed! Anyways good kills, but if you run into a honest healthy 427 be careful. Those things are a beast down low!

-scott

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
Awesome kills!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See my signature above. My car was trapping 121 mph all day that day.

Thanks for the props. I'll probably meet up with that Z06 again as he lives near me.

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Beau how do you find these people? WTF man...I wait like 2 weeks just to run in to something cool. But if Im in one of my daily's I see all kinda of cool cars :(

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kyle,
See my other thread too. I've raced two Carroll Shelby Cobras, a Viper GTS and the scariest looking 1960 ish Camaro I've ever seen (had a 454 bored "20" over and claimed he had 500 rwhp).

I guess I need to keep taking the babysitter home in my Supra on Saturday nights. About 50% of my races occur at this time.

Glad to see you found a Supra you like - now keep this one would ya!? Nice Alpine Silver 6-speed. Stop, put the crack pipe down and step away from the "For Sale" ad.

Nice takedown on that H/C Zo6 btw. Keep on representing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts