Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One broke off a week ago, I noticed it when I got a strange klicking sound from my left rear wheel. I noticed one stud had broken off and it was loose inside the bolt cover. I didnt think anything of it untill today. I was driving again and noticed a bigger sound from the left rear wheel. I stopped and didnt notice anything. I started to drive again untill the sound became really bad and something jerk the car to the left.

Almost the whole wheel came off and was only keeping loosely on with two bolts. It was tilted over the fender about an inch.

How the hell can this happen. My friend was as astouned as I am. I have thightened the wheels myself and I dont over tighten them and I am pretty sure I havent undertightem them aswell. Why the two bolts that kept the wheel on where loose is beyond me. And all this happened all of a sudden.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
hold on, one broke off and you kept driving the car? THen you only had it held on with two bolts? Of course theyre gonna come off. For them to stay on you have to have them all on.

PS are your wheels proper bolt pattern?

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SuprAng said:
hold on, one broke off and you kept driving the car? THen you only had it held on with two bolts? Of course theyre gonna come off. For them to stay on you have to have them all on.

PS are your wheels proper bolt pattern?

Yes I kept driving when one came off. Four bolts to keep a wheel on is completely enough. Two on the other way.. I limped home doing 30mph max.

They are correct bolt pattern. 114.3x5

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
^ Those are all good questions. Replace your studs with toyota parts, don't bother with generic studs from an auto parts store. Be sure to use anti-sieze compound on the studs and torque them in a star pattern to 75 or 80 ft. lbs. Hub Centric rings are a fantastic idea if your wheels are not already hub centric. I've worked for discount tire for well over three years and have never seen three studs shear off like that, that's an odd event.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
NJsupraA70 said:
Are your Racinghart wheels hubcentric?
Actually this is something I think might of caused this. I am not sure how do I make sure if they are hubcentric or not. But I dont have any rings between the hub of the wheel and the center of the wheel and there is a few millimeter gap between them.

I measured the wheels center and it had a cone where the smaller diameter was 73mm and the larger 79mm. What is the size of the stock hub? I was thinking of getting some adapters tomorrow.

Does anybody know how do I change new studs to the hubs? How much do I have to disasemble to get to them?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Krister, you can get plastic rings to center the wheel onto the hub. My brocks had to be centered too. You can get these rings at just about any wheel/tyre shop.

About the studs, get a drill and a boltremovingdrill thing. First drill a small hole, then use the drill which is basically a cone form with threading like a normal drill but counterclockwise. Put that on a powertool and turn that stud out :)

For more -clear- info look here :p
http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/screw_extractor/

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Krister said:
Yes I kept driving when one came off. Four bolts to keep a wheel on is completely enough.

No its not.

Based on the weight and stance of the car, some Toyota engineer decided 5 threaded rods were required in order to support the torsional stresses being applied, otherwise they would have came in 4 lug. Getting rid of one drastically increases the load each one has to support.

·
Registered
192 Posts
to get the studs out just pound them out, to install new one you have to slide it in and slide a few washers on and torque down the stud with no wheel on and i will pop in.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
blu87sup said:
to get the studs out just pound them out, to install new one you have to slide it in and slide a few washers on and torque down the stud with no wheel on and i will pop in.

^ Exactly. Just use a hammer and a punch on the ones that broke flush with the hub, then on the longer ones just use a hammer and knock them out.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
You've got to be kidding me ? Aren't those studs screwed in ?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
ebay has some plastic hubcentric rings for aftermarket wheels. i suggest you get some, or you could suffer a castrophic failure.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
blackout_89t said:
No its not.

Based on the weight and stance of the car, some Toyota engineer decided 5 threaded rods were required in order to support the torsional stresses being applied, otherwise they would have came in 4 lug. Getting rid of one drastically increases the load each one has to support.
true but i think the fact that the pattern is meant to support 5 lugs caused it, whereas if it were a 4 bolt hub, the spacing being equal, they would probably hold.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Why the bolts broke has been covered. The wheels haven't been centered on the hub... you could put 10 bolts in and sooner or later all 10 would've snapped due to extensive stress caused by the uncentered wheel.

Now if the wheels were centered he could have driven the car without problems. Just stay on the safe side and don't go draggin'

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
so if i had hubcentric wheels with 4/5 lugs on, eventually the others wouldnt loosen off?

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
C44 said:
You've got to be kidding me ? Aren't those studs screwed in ?
Nope... they are sorta "pressed" in by the knurl and the hub... pretty easy to replace, spray some wd40 on em, one good swing of the hammer will knock em out... aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Eventually yes, but it wouldn't happen as fast as it would without hubcentric wheels.

Btw, good to know about those studs then... i might put some longer ones in since my wheels somehow are too thick :dunno:

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
this happened to me I had my 17" ADR Battle AXE. Mines broke off on me on the freeway.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts