Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgraded from my factory intake manifold, now I need a new throttle body. There are 2 solenoids that I do not know will fit on the new TB I picked out. Can anyone tell me what these solenoid looking things are? On the bottom of the factory TB.

Here is one of the new TBs that I picked out for this new Intake Manifold.

I have an ECU Masters EMU that I am installing, if that means anything for this manifold and TB install.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
No idea what you are talking about. But it's probably the idle speed control and the TPS. If it was a VVTI TB then it has a velocity butterfly to help with down low torque. Regardless doesn't matter. You need an Is unless you go DBW with the ecumaster. Also any tps should work since you are standalone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea what you are talking about. But it's probably the idle speed control and the TPS. If it was a VVTI TB then it has a velocity butterfly to help with down low torque. Regardless doesn't matter. You need an Is unless you go DBW with the ecumaster. Also any tps should work since you are standalone.
The right one looks like TPS, but I don't think the motor is a VVTi. I'll circle what im talking about

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replied in your other thread regarding the same topic. Right one is TPS, left one is ISC. Might wanna delete this thread and keep the other one going.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your car isn't a stick shift prepare yourself for an unhappy transmission in limp mode because you removed the ECT. Also, I wouldn't trade an ECT for a cable actuated throttle. I'd ONLY upgrade your throttle to a larger size if you found that your throttle/intake manifold were limiting you from making more power (hint: this usually isn't the bottle neck in power on mildly modified cars).

Seems like a PITA upgrade that is going to cause you more problems than it's worth and not likely net you any extra torque.

If your car was VVTI before, it's not now. Looks like someone installed adjustable cam gears on it, so it's locked in one position..... another thing I wouldn't do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your car isn't a stick shift prepare yourself for an unhappy transmission in limp mode because you removed the ECT. Also, I wouldn't trade an ECT for a cable actuated throttle. I'd ONLY upgrade your throttle to a larger size if you found that your throttle/intake manifold were limiting you from making more power (hint: this usually isn't the bottle neck in power on mildly modified cars).

Seems like a PITA upgrade that is going to cause you more problems than it's worth and not likely net you any extra torque.

If your car was VVTI before, it's not now. Looks like someone installed adjustable cam gears on it, so it's locked in one position..... another thing I wouldn't do.
the car has a standard R154, came factory with a cable actuated throttle, and the only reason I am upgrading the TB is to fit the new intake manifold that moves the intake to the cold side. The car is also not a VVTI.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Bells, not trying to criticize here, but I notice there's some strange looking welds where the Y of the intake tract meets the plenum face. Is that normal for these engines? Haven't seen an NA setup for a long while.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bells, not trying to criticize here, but I notice there's some strange looking welds where the Y of the intake tract meets the plenum face. Is that normal for these engines? Haven't seen an NA setup for a long while.
Good eye. Looks like whoever had it before significantly shortened the Y pipe and then welded it. Won't matter when he switches to new intake, but still interesting.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Good eye. Looks like whoever had it before significantly shortened the Y pipe and then welded it. Won't matter when he switches to new intake, but still interesting.
The factory Y pipe puts the throttle body pretty much right where his turbo compressor housing is. Factory ISC location is right over the far edge of the exhaust side cam cover. It's a semi common half-assed way of making clearance on a low budget NA-T.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The factory Y pipe puts the throttle body pretty much right where his turbo compressor housing is. Factory ISC location is right over the far edge of the exhaust side cam cover. It's a semi common half-assed way of making clearance on a low budget NA-T.
LMAO! I didn't even consider that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the guy who built the car half assed almost everything

·
Registered
920 Posts
yeah the guy who built the car half assed almost everything
I know your pain all too well pal. Keep your chin up and don't settle until the work on your car meets YOUR standards. Every time I work on my car, it tends to get just a little bit better. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could just use a proper heat shielding to avoid all the hard part fuckery involved. The stock engine has the throttle body over the exhaust manifold but it's heat shielded. Problem with people half assing stuff is they think just because they have a turbo installed and it makes boost that they're done. You will see almost NO OEM setups where they do not have heat shielding in a boosted application. If you go look at any race cars, I mean actual race cars, not the local boiz at the the cupcake meet, you will see that they have paid very close attention to heat management under the hood.

My point in saying this is don't cheap out and skip this part of your build, it's critical to the longevity and safety of your engine. You want danger to the manifold?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts