Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where the hose with the filter on the throttle body goes?
thanx
joe

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering what purpose it serves myself...cuz Hey, that's extra WEIGHT I COULD REMOVE!!!! heheh, but really, whats it for?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
It's part of a system that keeps the throttle plate from just slamming shut. Supposed to let it close that last 1-3mm slowly so the car doesn't stall.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I should probably clean it and get it working as opposed to just putting back on like I did a while back, mine's jammed solid. Or not to worry about it?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
If the car doesn't stall after you put it in neutral from high RPM's then the system is working fine and I wouldn't suggest touching it. I'm not sure how much that filter actually does compared to the valve that the throttle actually hits. Weight savings from removing that would be negligible. You'd save more weight driving around with only one sock.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sockless it is!!!

easier than taking a few pounds off me! I'm so fat......:(

and I'm not gonna mess with it probably. Me and a friend are gonna take the intake off today and search for a vacuum/boost leak that's hiding from me. Gonna start a thread really quick asking for advice.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
the filter keeps the dashpot clean and helps to restrict airflow so that your plate doesnt slam shut. If you dont like it take it off.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Yes you could take it off, but the return spring for the throttle body is attached to the dashpot. What would you do for a return spring if you took off the dashpot? I dont' think it's a good idea to just tell someone to remove something without letting them know at least a little bit of what will happen.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, man its all good....besides....for the itsy bitsy amount of joy I would derive from removing that think it's nowhere near the amount of work....and also I do realize the spring is attached. I wouldn't have just hacked it off and then been ..."oh crap" Cool that you look out for peeps like that though, I run across people that would just break it off and be s.o.l. at my job at Autozone....I do my best to prepare them, and I think its cool you do to.....
Thanks Anyway...!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whoa, so if we make it more restrictive could it compensate for a BOV venting to the atmosphere?

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Yes you could take it off, but the return spring for the throttle body is attached to the dashpot. What would you do for a return spring if you took off the dashpot? I dont' think it's a good idea to just tell someone to remove something without letting them know at least a little bit of what will happen.
I didnt say remove the dashpot. I said remove the filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts