Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys I'm in a dilemma .

I purchased a throttle cable that was a little longer than stock(i belive its the Toyota throttle cable, part number 78180-20500) to work with my SOUND PERFORMANCE intake manifold & throttle body since the stock one is to short but sadly the cable is to long and has to much slack , a shop was also paid months ago to fabricate a bracket to allow this cable to work with my setup sadly i guess they did not understand that i needed this to work not just hold a cable for looks :rolleyes:

any ways the cable i have is way to long and I'm wondering what throttle cable will work with SOUND PERFORMANCE intake manifold & throttle body or where i can purchase a throttle cable that i can modify in length and all to work with an after market longer intake manifold in my supra.

thanks!

·
1,020 Posts
My virtual works intake came with a long throttle cable with an allen key adjuster. I just cut to length and then added on the little "niblet" and tightened with an allen key.

good luck

:rockon:

·
Banned
1,489 Posts
I got a solution to your problem! Get a Toyota Landcruiser throttle cable from Curt at Elmhurst and you are all set!

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HyperHoHo1 said:
I got a solution to your problem! Get a Toyota Landcruiser throttle cable from Curt at Elmhurst and you are all set!
might be the same cable i already have

Sound Performance said:
If it is a Toyota cable and it is too long, you can just shorten it to the perfect length.
Humm how do i "just shorten it to the perfect length"?
I cut the cable then what do i put at the end of the cable to keep it in place?

·
Turbo-Freaks Producer
342 Posts
Ranger498 said:
might be the same cable i already have

Humm how do i "just shorten it to the perfect length"?
I cut the cable then what do i put at the end of the cable to keep it in place?
You could use heavy duty fishing crimps, used for cable in saltwater fishings. That would more than suffice.

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tightlines88 said:
You could use heavy duty fishing crimps, used for cable in saltwater fishings. That would more than suffice.
no clue what that is can you point me in the right direction?

thanks!

·
Inline6Performance
1,482 Posts
Ranger, all you have to do is get the cable that is too long, cut the end by the pedal, slide the cable out. Then the cable protector or guide will unscrew from the plate that bolts to the firewall. Cut the black part, cover, guide or what ever you want to call it to size, leaving some room for adjustment. Then run the cable thru and install it with all the slack coming out the pedal. Go to alocal hardware sote and get you a couple of aluminum wire rope stops, like this http://webriggingsupply.com/pages/catalog/hardware/buttonstops.html . Put them on the end and crimp tem on the end. Make sure you put a washer or something so the stop hits the rubber piece by the pedal. I hopoe this helps.

·
TT This
917 Posts
Land cruiser cable = waaayyyyy to long. like 2 feet to long. I had one, now I use a Lokar cable. I bought the 3 foot one and it can be cut to any length shorter. Also is a braided stainless jacket.

this is what you get with the land cruiser cable:

The Lokar trimmed to length:

Christ! Imageshack sucks! there you go...

·
10,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys for the help !

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Lokar was a POS in my opinion. I bought a landcruiser cable to replace it and shortened the sheath and cable - now it fits/performs flawlessly.

The lokar cable has lots more sliding resistance in the sheath (it's metal on metal) - than the plastic coated cable in the LC cable (plastic on plastic).

·
TT This
917 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
Lokar was a POS in my opinion. I bought a landcruiser cable to replace it and shortened the sheath and cable - now it fits/performs flawlessly.

The lokar cable has lots more sliding resistance in the sheath (it's metal on metal) - than the plastic coated cable in the LC cable (plastic on plastic).
My Lokar feels smoother than when I had stock.

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
WTF IS THE PART NUMBER for the lokar cable????

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm using the lokar and it works great. You can use a light grease for lube and the rubber seal on the throttle side from the orig toyota cable fits perfect to keep the grease in.

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,519 Posts
Old thread. Here it is 2008 and Im having all kinds of problems finding a throttle cable for my Veilside install. SP has installed like maybe 10 of them. I called them guys and they don't remember which cable to order. I ordered the toyota cable Veilside calls for in sheets and not only is it too long the end thats to fit at the throttle body is the wrong mm size cylinder and is too big for that hole.
NICE. New rule: Dont sell intake manifolds unless you properly spec the correct # cable for customers!

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Old thread. Here it is 2008 and Im having all kinds of problems finding a throttle cable for my Veilside install. SP has installed like maybe 10 of them. I called them guys and they don't remember which cable to order. I ordered the toyota cable Veilside calls for in sheets and not only is it too long the end thats to fit at the throttle body is the wrong mm size cylinder and is too big for that hole.
NICE. New rule: Dont sell intake manifolds unless you properly spec the correct # cable for customers!

You called us about a Veilside intake manifold??

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,519 Posts
"You called us about a Veilside intake manifold??"

Crap, I meant the other SP or rather SPe.

My point in posting is that even a year latter getting a simple throttle cable to match any aftermarket Intake manifold can still be guess work.
Manufacturers tell you one thing and its wrong. Many differences of oppinion too as seen above. Shouldn,t be this difficult after all these years.
I have found it to be extrememly frustrating especially when the people selling them don't even know what to tell ya.

·
Super Moderator
10,737 Posts
Jon,

You're talking to the wrong guy. Ed is a very nice guy and very good to work with, but, LOL, SPE quit selling the VS manifold before he was born. You need to speak with Alex, or email him at [email protected]. Let him know about your conversations with Ed as background. He will get you squared away.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts