Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ill start with my first problem

I misshifted the car and the snap ring popped off the pressureplate so no more clutch, towed it to my shop dropped the tranny and reassembled everything

Second problem

Just running the car up to about 5800 - 6000 just as i try to shift the clutch pedal sinks to the floor same thing as what happened when the snap ring popped off last time, jack it up take off the cover and sure enough it popped off agian.

Does this happen to you guys alot? i am only running a stock clutch and pressure plate and bpu at 13psi boost. The clutch only has about 7500 miles on it. And its a toyota oem clutch. The only thing i can think of why this happened agian is because i didnt use a new snap ring/wave washer/ and washer. Which im gonna install a new set when I install my new act clutch =\ Im just worried if this happens with the stock clutch; what will happen when i have a pressure plate with a much higher clamping force =\ Will i be facing this problem alot? thanks

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I just put in a RPS Carbon/carbon, and it comes w/ two wave washers, and some green loctite(620) you put on the inside of the snap ring to help retention. I'd definitely buy a new snap ring/washers if yours came off. You're sure the ring was snapped all the way on, right?

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya the ring snapped completely on, I work on cars a lot so I am pretty confident in my work but this time I am going to use all new parts this time

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
There is a washer that only goes in one way,you have to make sure you put it in the right side up or the snap ring will come out.

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i ordered ALL NEW parts for it, except clutch and pressure plate since they are perfect and i dont have the money to upgrade to a twin at the moment

·
Registered
223 Posts
You have to be putting something on wrong. I had my snap ring pop off but its because the hub broke. Look at the diagram on mkiv.com and make sure your cone washer is on the right direction.

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup i made sure everything was correct, my only thought could be that the clutch fork is bent

i did mechanically over rev it to about 9000 almost =\ im surprised nothing else got damaged

·
Registered
223 Posts
I dont see why your clutch fork or revving it that high would have anything to do with it. So its the small snap ring coming off right? When installing mine i made sure all the washers were in there right then put the hub in a vice and hit a flat head screwdriver with a hammer all the way around the ring top make sure it was down and in

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no it is the large snap ring holding the throw out bearing onto the pressure plate, i also used green loctite as recommended by someone else on the board in this thread...... im gonna double check everything im gonna swith out to a twin plate unit tho while i have it apart

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well thats really weird that the large one is the one coming out. I was always told the large one had hardly any pressure on it and the small one was what held all of it. I would double check all the part numbers and make sure your hub is perfect.

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
think thats what im gonna do this time around, maybe even order everything new.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well i know for a fact those snap rings cant be re-used even if its brand new and popped off you still have to get a new one good luck man

·
gt35/40?
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i ordered all new stuff the 2nd time around, i hate dropping the tranny on this car its a pain. Nothing like a honda, on a honda i can have the tranny out and back in with in 2 hours...... supra 4 -5 hours.... those stupid 17's at the top are a bitch.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
That's one of the reason when i did my clutch I order all new parts.I found out that if you remove the throttle body intake hose the engine will tilt all the way back,easy access to the two top bolts and the exhaust off too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts