Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some characteristics of a fu*ked up Throw-out bearing?

Long story short...

I messed up last night and went from 6000 RPMs in 3rd, to (way to many RPMs) in 2nd :( and now something isn't running right. Its really bad (well bad vibration) at the 1800-2000 rpm range.

It feels like it's still running strong, just the vibration.

If you guys have any other ideas of what could have messed up, please tell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well I'll just reply to my self.

well good news, it might not be the throw-out bearing. I could just be a mount that got ripped in half.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
I have the same sort of problem a slight shake and a clattering sound from the tranny. I was told it was probably a throw out bearing but to just wait until I need a new clutch because to replace both would save money on labor.

·
Inline for the win
4,769 Posts
You will know if a throwout bearing is bad when it begins to ring or sing like a bird. To find out if it is making noise, start the car and let it idle. Push the clutch in and listen for the noise to disappear. If it disappears then your TB is going out. If the noise is still there, you have something else wrong with your setup. This is univeral check for all manual transmissions. I had one go out on my 93 mustang GT before.

With every clutch installation, you should always replace the TB with each clutch install. Its just safety measure so you are not tearing it apart again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats a TB? throw out bearing?? and would it affect anything if the tb is going out? Is it ok to still drive it even though it makes a lil chattering noise at idle.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
when does it need to be replaced?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts