Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice set of 97TT cams, had Cary machine them, and today is the day! I have the motor half apart, and I was just waiting on cam seals from Jeff Watson. I am hoping to feel the 20-30rwhp and the improved pull to redline real soon!

:rockon:

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
please post on how the shimming went. i want to do this mod but im not sure if stock shims will to the trick.

~scott

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am ordering a set also. I don’t get on dynos much and our dynos are different anyway. I do hope to get some real world track results though. Heading out to the strip in 3 weeks with new microtech setup at 15psi boost (to compare to old setup with wolf 3d ecu) then I will install cams and go again. And then after that install 4000rpm stall :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put them in last night. The valve clearances are still within spec. Didn't have a chance to fire it up because it was too late. I will test drive it tomorrow. It was a lot of work getting the timing belt back on, you need 2 guys for this. One works the cam by moving it a hair in either direction to get the I side on first, while the other guy slips the timing belt on. Same for the E side. Its all ready to go, just couldn't start it because I have basically an open exhaust.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
??? 2 people to put the timing belt on????

Uh!!! Hurry up and drive the car!!!!......lol :p

·
Registered
824 Posts
so you used stock cam gears?

You want to write up a quick process on doing it? And then whack some torque specs on various bolts so this can be a stick on how to swap cams :)

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
I was just adjusting my valves cause of adding hks cams to my new jdm engine and all the shims appear to be the same size except for like 3 of them on the intake side. Is that normal?

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
i just got my 2jz cams in (still need to get machined but no cash right now).. hopfully get them done in a month or 2..

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
tissimo said:
i just got my 2jz cams in (still need to get machined but no cash right now).. hopfully get them done in a month or 2..
I need my set done also. Where are u taking youurs?

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
jblaze said:
Where is a good place to get HKS cams for the 1j at a decent price?
Inquire with Rudy at Manic Tech Racing ====> http://www.manictechracing.com/

Great guy and I know for a fact that he keeps sets in stock. I think his price is about $440 per cam. That's the going price for HKS cams now since the US dollar has been sliding against the JPY. He has a set of 264's in stock right now.

- Chris

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
If you REALLY want/need a set, I have a set of 272's I'll let go for $900.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts