Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know who drive their Mkiv regularly.

Also, I wonder how you guys take the corner 5a (after you exit the cyclone).

I almost hit redline on 2nd gear at the apex of 5a. I feel losing speed if I shift up the gear during the apex. Any input?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just want to know who drive their Mkiv regularly.

Also, I wonder how you guys take the corner 5a (after you exit the cyclone).

I almost hit redline on 2nd gear at the apex of 5a. I feel losing speed if I shift up the gear during the apex. Any input?
I short shift into third coming down the hill between 5 and 5a. I get a lot of wheelspin (since you're going down a fairly steep hill) and have to make the 2-3 shift at an inconvienent time (apex of 5a) if I stay in second until redline. I also tend to miss the apex at 5a because there is a big dip in the track right there that will bottom your front tire into the fenderwell if you have taller than stock front tires.

A few other Thunderhill tips from doing 1000+ laps there:

1. avoid the outside of turn 2 because it is so bumpy. I start about 2/3rds of the way out and work my way into the apex about 3/4 of the way around the turn.

2. hug the inside of 3. The corner gets more and more off-camber the farther out you go. Small light cars may be faster farther out, but bigger heavier ones do better on the inside.

3. most people turn into 6 too late, which makes you turn at too abrupt of an angle and slows you down all the way through the backside of the track.

4. a really fast lap requires carrying a bunch of speed through 8. However the margin for error is pretty small (not as bad as it was before they added the extra pavement though), and if you go off, bad things are likely to happen. If you do try to make it though without much of a lift and realize you aren't going to make it, go off straight, not sideways. (I speak from experience here).

5. you can carry a lot of speed through 9 even though it is intimidating since there is a hill in the middle of the corner. You have to come over the hill about 2/3rds over (from the left) to allow for the track continuing to turn to the left after you crest the hill. Most people brake too much going into the corner. Lower powered cars don't even need to brake. The fourth gear wheelspin you get coming over the top is fun. :)

Eric

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
good discription, eric.

I'll be there racing in about 10 days. I don't know the track well enough to know about the alternate lines and the bumps. I'll look for them when I go.

Matt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric,

Thanks! I am going to try that next time.

Also, there is a little catch after you exit corner 2. I think you have to brake a little before you enter corner 3. There is a little bump ~2-3 Supras' car length before the corner. Do you have any trick/hint for that? I don't know how slow I need to be. I just pushed the car exiting the corner 2 and brake hard for half of a second or so (a few meters before the bump) and re-accelerate after the bump.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I use Typpo's line (he's 'Eric') -- he and Derek Wang taught me THill. :)

Carl Byck has a different line there if you want to ping him. in2twins is his name on here.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Eric,

Thanks! I am going to try that next time.

Also, there is a little catch after you exit corner 2. I think you have to brake a little before you enter corner 3. There is a little bump ~2-3 Supras' car length before the corner. Do you have any trick/hint for that? I don't know how slow I need to be. I just pushed the car exiting the corner 2 and brake hard for half of a second or so (a few meters before the bump) and re-accelerate after the bump.

You definitely need to brake hard going into 3. I'm usually right at the rev limiter in third going into the braking zone. You have to lose a lot of speed before the corner starts since heavy trail braking, a hump at the corner entrance and an off camber corner aren't a good combination. It is bumpy in the braking zone, but I don't remember a bump that I have to stop braking for. Do you mean the hump right at the beginning of the corner? You should lose most of your speed before you hit that. I"m done braking by the time I get there. You could probably save a little bit of braking until after you go over the hump, but I've seen too many cars go off there to try it, and I don't think the gains would be significant - you're not carrying more speed for very long. Turn 2/3/4 are a section of the track I usually gain ground on cars of similar speed, so I don't think it is a slow approach. I'll try to get some in car video up on a server over the weekend to make it clearer.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
^^^ I have to agree with you. Turn 3 is where I almost crashed into the brake signs. I came out the apex of #2 too strong and oversteered like crazy.

Turn 5 is probably my favorite, was kind of hesitant at first but now I just WOT through the apex.

First experience with road race was at Thunderhill. Ive been there 4 times already and can't wait to go there again with my new setup. Best track to learn on caus of the wide lanes and nothing you can really hit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts