Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been hearing a thunking sound every once and awhile while reversing. Sounds like it might be coming from the tranny area but I am not sure. I have a TRD twin disc clutch with lightened flywheel. I was wondering if anyone might know what it is? It happens only in reverse and sounds almost repetative.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Its most likely your motor mount(s) and or tranny mount. You can replace them with stock ones our you can get the TRD Japan ones from Jeff Watson. Some people have said that they will transmit too much vibration, but I have the mounts and can't recall a huge difference from stock.

They're only about $15 more than the stock ones.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryan! I will look into the mounts....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It's common for six spds to make a thunk. Mine comes from the driveline when I put it in gear. Dealer even replaced the rear suspension when the car was new trying to get rid of it but it's in the driveline somewhere. Solid flywheel maybe contributing to it since you no longer have the dampening from the stock one.

If it's not the common thunk, then what RSA Supra said.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the clunking sound while in reverse - turns out I was missing the shims to hold my rear pads in place. Every time i rolled back and braked, the pads clunked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts