Almost quick..
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure exactly where to post this so Ill try here:) . I am running a:
PTE 67, with a .81a/r.
Tail 38mm with 1bar spring
Turbosmart EBC
75shot NX
The car made [email protected] pounds and 75 shot a few weeks ago, a few days ago I took it out to run a modded C6 Z06 and after warming my tires my wastegate failed open. Finally got it shut by blowing compressed air into the side port,but would only hold 25pounds.

Question is has anyone had a Tial fail before? Was it from the leaded fuel?
And most importantly do I need to upgrade to hold more boost? I was planning of swaping in the 1.6 bar springs until this happened and am looking for advice.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Give TiAL a call or e-mail them. Great customer service. I have never had a TiAL wastegate fail personally. I did have a friend's team's turbo car at NHRA/Moroso tear their diaphram on a TiAL 44mm

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you running leaded fuel? The 38mm is not meant to run leaded fuel AT ALL, there is a warning on the gate when you get it new.

The only time you can run leaded fuel with a 38mm gate is if you get one with different seals to support this. 38mm sounds way too small for your setup though, switch to a 44mm and have no issues at all. run all the leaded gas you want and have no leaks with v-band :)

"The TiAL 38mm is the only wastegate with the option to choose the valve stem's protective coating. To keep the overall cost of the unit down, the choice was left to the customer. Lead Oxide which is present only when burning leaded fuels is corrosive to the Black coating on the Street valve's stem. Extended use of leaded fuel will cause performance problems and unreliable valve actuation.

The Silver coating on the Race valve stem is resistant to the corrosive effects of Lead Oxide. Similarly works well with unleaded fuel. The Racing valve is available for an additional charge.
"

·
Almost quick..
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you running leaded fuel? The 38mm is not meant to run leaded fuel AT ALL, there is a warning on the gate when you get it new.

The only time you can run leaded fuel with a 38mm gate is if you get one with different seals to support this. 38mm sounds way too small for your setup though, switch to a 44mm and have no issues at all. run all the leaded gas you want and have no leaks with v-band :)
I've had the gate for over three years and not had a single problem with it, and cannot recall hearing problems. Yes running leaded fuel and that's what someone else told me too. The 38 seems fine to me, was hoping to not have to upgrade.
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
When I was at 7psi on my SP63, my Tial 44 stayed slightly open after a long pull. I thought my exhaust manifold studs worked loose because it sounded like a permanent exhaust leak. The way I got it closed fully was to do a WOT pull, let the wastegate open, and then it closed itself properly. No problems since (about 1 yr ago).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts