Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

Well I got pulled over yesterday while driving home from work by a State Police. He asked first why my exhaust was so big and that by law that I was not suppose to change the stock exhaust. He did not mention that it was loud or anything. So then he takes my license and reg., then 5 minutes after he comes back and says, "It's your lucky day, I have to go to an accident ahead!". Well I never got pulled over for this reason, but is it possible that I can receive a ticket for this? I live in MA and have a HKS CF/Titanium exhaust. Thanks!

Mike

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
SupraPimpTT said:
Hey Gang,

Well I got pulled over yesterday while driving home from work by a State Police. He asked first why my exhaust was so big and that by law that I was not suppose to change the stock exhaust. He did not mention that it was loud or anything. So then he takes my license and reg., then 5 minutes after he comes back and says, "It's your lucky day, I have to go to an accident ahead!". Well I never got pulled over for this reason, but is it possible that I can receive a ticket for this? I live in MA and have a HKS CF/Titanium exhaust. Thanks!

Mike
My wife got pulled over back when she had a integra and the cop gave her the same song and dance. She told him it was a greddy which is 50 state approved and his retort was "are you going to believe a manuf. who wants to sell the item or the state police" After walking around the car she ended up getting a ticket for no from plate instead.

·
Candy Monster
245 Posts
Some of them you can convince and some not (police) I got pulled many times , but when i show the silencer and installed it in front of them they leave me and drive away

By the way your car looks awesome

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Albuquerque has a similar law, in that the exhaust cannot be altered in a way to make it louder than OEM. The only reason the law was passed was to give police something to allow them to ticket people cruising, since they couldn't get a no cruising law to pass and one of our city counselors happens to be a prick that wants to kill off everything to do with cars, including closing the drag strip, etc.

At least when I got the ticket I could just take it to one of our many awesome local speed shops and get a receipt for 'fixing' my exhaust and thus have the ticket dismissed.

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
This law pisses me off cause Harley riders are 10x louder than any Supra exhaust I have ever heard. I have been pulled over for loud exaust before and the guy proceeded to give me a field sobriety test when I hadnt even been drinking. Sometimes they think of anything to pull you over.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
how'd I know you were in Mass, the most corrupt state (thanks to the Kennedys) in the history of the union?

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
Yea...I guess Washington State just modified the exhaust laws here, making any exhaust modifications illegal. I can't wait to get pulled over for that one. Nazis :rant:

Mark

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
Mike,

(I already gave you this reponse over e-mail, but i'll post here as well to help anyone that needs it)

Yes, you can. In Massachusetts, the law is that you cannot modify your exhaust so that it is louder than OEM equipment. If your exhaust is louder than OEM, then by law it is illegal and you can get a ticket up to $150.

In my old NA-T, I was pulled over by a statey for a loud exhaust (Apex-i GT-Spec). I was issued a $150 ticket for "Modified Exhaust". This, however, wasn't the end of it. That trooper happened to be a real stickler for loud exhausts and he also flagged me in the Massachusetts RMV system. By flagging my registration, I was sent a letter by the registry of motor vehicles stating that my registration on the car would be suspended indefinitely unless my car was inspected by an RMV official. This inspection is not just for the exhaust, it is on the entire car, which was that last thing I wanted considering it was a single turbo with all kinds of stuff that could be considered illegal. I ended up having to register the care out of state, and then eventually sold it to avoid the headache. Take about a PIA.

Now, I fought that $150 ticket AND WON because I put my old OEM exhaust back on there and showed them a receipt proving that I did that. They dropped the ticket for me. BUT, you can't get out of the registry system as being flagged for inspection. You can't fight that and you will lose your registration unless it gets inspected and passes.

Since I sold the NA-T, I bought a 95 TT and installed a Tanabe Super Racing Medalion HYPER-Spec exhaust on the car. The thing is more quiet than stock. I did this intentionally to avoid any exhaust hassles. In fact, I've been pulled over 4 times since I've had it on there, both by staties and locals and they have NEVER mentioned the exhaust. If you think you might have more problems, I would suggest picking one up because it IS legal in mass being that is it < 93 dbs AND the same or more quiet than stock. I ran 11.8 @ 118 in the 1/4 last week with that exhaust on the car too, so it definitely can support some power. I believe it's 3.15" piping.

Hope that helps some. I've definitely got some experience with this issue.

-Brad

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
I moved out of mass because mass sucks in ways that most others (aside from californians) could never understand.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,101 Posts
I got a fix it ticket form the state police for modded exhaust, never an actual traffic ticket (knock on wood). Basically the fix it ticket was giving me 90 days to get a factory exhaust on my car and then I go back they ok it and I get it dropped.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
How the hell do exhaust companies get the 50 state legal cert. if in fact it is illegal to have exhaust that is louder than stock.
Man this makes my blood boil. Like the above comment, harleys are MUCH louder than our cars. Even most ricers.
WTF is it with people taking away our rights to modify our cars.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,101 Posts
Don't forget domestics, and hot rods. It seems when it comes to those kind of cars the police could care less. Maybe they're afraid of change lol.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,828 Posts
So... if you pay Minekey or Midas to build you a replacement exhaust, it is illegal? Thats bullshit. I've used this line: "This exhaust was installed at Midas since the original exhaust rusted away. They do not make these cars anymore and it is very difficult to find a replacement exhaust". Usually works.

Usually but not always. After a few attempts myself at building a sleek 4" exhaust, I realized even after 2 straight mufflers, the thing was still damn loud. I consider loud when your driving in a quiet suburban night, crickets chirping, and all you hear is your damn exhaust echoing all over the place.

Doesn't it suck? 3 things you have to deal with: Exhaust volume vs. Exhaust flow vs. Exhaust weight. Up the flow, you up the volume. Put in a nice 4" electric cutout (reduce the rest of the exhaust to small piping/mufflers), you cut the volume, but you raise the weight (those cutouts and flanges add up fast). Problem with a cutout is once you open it and floor it, you will be super loud. Some like it, but when your doing some pulls, making noise and attracting extra attention is not ideal.

Cruising by a cop with a super quiet exhaust will almost allways relieve you of the stress. Its not the exhaust ticket, but its everything else your car has that now comes into play (no cat, single turbo, emissions, license plates, etc).

Exhaust volume is law enforcement's conduit to fining you for anything else they see fit. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
934 Posts
i have the hks superdragger and its very quiet, very muffled. police doesnt really even look at me. ofcourse when i do see a police car going the other way, i usually coast in neutral.

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,919 Posts
I've been pulled over a couple times here in NJ and have been given the same song and dance "car is too loud" or "that exhaust is illegal". At first, I was a wise ass and when the cop said it was too loud, I replied "yeah, isn't it great"? He let me go with a warning when I told him it was 50 state street legal, tested and in compliance with the C.A.R.B. He replied "my judge would beg to differ". So, guess we'll just wait and see what happens in the future.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Any way of getting an official certificate validating the lagality of exhausts? Nothing would make me happier than shoving that in a cops face.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think 7thsign holds the record for most exhaust tickets. Our crew all have hks exhaust and have all got tickets. By law "ANY" after market exhaust system is illegal no if's and's or but's.

Sometimes you get that cool cop who says put a silencer on it bring the receipt to court and they will wave your ticket. But then sometimes they dont care and will fine you no matter what.

Now in Va if they wanted to be a real dick for your 3rd exhaust ticket they can give a habitual repair ticket. Which means that you need to but back your stock exhaust and drive the car to the police station and have the officer inspect the car to make sure the work was done pay your fines and your on your way.

My last ticket i just got my buddy to give me a blank invoice from a car dealership he worked at. I took it home pencil whipped some bs took it to court they looked at it for a second and said case dismissed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i live in washington state and as far as i know theres no law like that. our cops are pretty gay, but there are a million cars here with rediculous exhausts and noone has problems. i get pulled over all the time for no front plate though. id drill through a cops head before id drill through my bumper though.

·
'95 TT
668 Posts
Here is a link to the laws in mass:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm

"No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust."

Then also: Page 9 Section 5:

http://www.epa.gov/boston/topics/air/sips/ma/MA_4_00.pdf

or

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/540cmr4/sec404b.htm

(5) Muffler and Exhaust System Accelerate motor to test for prevention of unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. The exhaust system, exhaust manifold(s), exhaust pipe(s), muffler(s), and tailpipe(s), if designed to be so equipped, shall be tight and free of leaks. System components shall be securely fastened with fasteners in place and undamaged. All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment. Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by the vehicle when equipped with the original manufacturer's equipment. A gas or diesel vehicle will be rejected if, at normal operating temperature, at any constant speed over 15 MPH, (approximately 1,000 to 1,200 RPM's) visible black or blue exhaust emissions are evident.

This is interesting because I was cited for 540 CMR 4.0 on my ticket (if i remember correctly) which seems to be only a part of the inspection process. I think I still have the paper lying around. I'll check to make sure it's the same thing. Looks like you can get cited for that stuff as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts