Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
daredevil racecar builder
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got pulled over last night around 1:30AM going to Taco Bell by some moron State Trooper. I got a $150 ticket for "No Muffler" and was told that I had to have a muffler because, "you need it to filter out the sound and bad stuff that goes into the air." I had two other police officers pull over during this traffic stop and talk with the State Trooper for about forever wasting my time. Three cops to write me a no muffler ticket :ugh2:

Anyway, If I'm not mistaken there are no emission laws in SC, and I was driving normally so there is no way my car was breaking any sound laws if applicable. Does anyone here have any further knowledge on this subject?

(note: I'v been pulled over 2 other times for various reasons that have all been dropped however not once has any other officer told me my exhaust was illegal or that it was too loud.)

·
Built Auto
1,167 Posts
....yet you (and the rest of car owners) are supposed to have a muffler to "filter the sound" and then there are a million freakin Harleys and what not that are 100 times louder than your MKIII is.... :rolleyes: fuckin cops.

·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is not loud, maybe if I get on it, but I was not even on the gas when he was near enough to my car to even hear it. I agree with the Harley thing. Harley's have to have a foot of exhaust after the bend and baffles, and almost every one I see driven by some nasty looking white guy, they aren't legal.

Back into the matter at hand...An LEO according to law is supposed to identify himself when he greets you. This guy went straight into the registration etc. business and was overall not friendly at all. Second, he didn't even look at the exhaust or underneath the car to even confirm if it had a muffler. Also, he didn't even give me a decible check to see if my car was even too loud in the first place. If I'm not mistaken isn't that the whole point he would have pulled me over, because my car is too loud? Obviously, this guy was a profiling for cars when he saw mine, because he was talking about how mufflers filter out sound and pollutants. I wasn't aware mufflers muffled out pollutants :rolleyes: I refuse to pay 150 dollars and get a muffler on top of that.

Nearly every state trooper I have met has been a major jerk.
Nearly every city police officer I have met has been overall friendly and helpful.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Fight it, and take a list of all those points with you to do so. I drove around for a year with only the Turbo Elbow on my car. That's a bunch of crap man. Sorry to hear that, and especially from the exhaust I gave you too. :rolleyes:

Scotty

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Dachande said:
I got pulled over last night around 1:30AM going to Taco Bell by some moron State Trooper. I got a $150 ticket for "No Muffler" and was told that I had to have a muffler because, "you need it to filter out the sound and bad stuff that goes into the air." I had two other police officers pull over during this traffic stop and talk with the State Trooper for about forever wasting my time. Three cops to write me a no muffler ticket :ugh2:

Anyway, If I'm not mistaken there are no emission laws in SC, and I was driving normally so there is no way my car was breaking any sound laws if applicable. Does anyone here have any further knowledge on this subject?

(note: I'v been pulled over 2 other times for various reasons that have all been dropped however not once has any other officer told me my exhaust was illegal or that it was too loud.)

What was the troopers name? Ping me dude... I'll see if I can get this shit taken care of :)

Edit: nevermind, didn't see where he didn't give his info. You can find out though... want to scan me a copy of the ticket?

The Saleen S7 TT does not ship with mufflers from factory, and it's a tad louder than a supra :lol:

·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Scotty, I tried calling you yesterday. James, I'll scan it for you and see if you can make it out. It looks like he initialled it rather than signing it. His handwriting is sloppy at best.

·
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the section violation number and I went to SC website which says what each violation is. My violation on the ticket says 56-5-5040. That has nothing to do with a muffler??? :1poke:

SECTION 56-5-5040. Tires.

Every motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer operated upon the highways shall be equipped with tires of sufficient size and in sufficient number to distribute the wheel loads on the road surface so as to avoid damage to the highway, and all such tires shall be in a safe operating condition. Every solid rubber tire on a vehicle shall have rubber on its entire traction surface at least one inch thick above the edge of the flange of the entire periphery. No person shall operate or move on any highway any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer having any metal tire in contact with the roadway. No tire on a vehicle moved on a highway shall have on its periphery any block, stud, flange, cleat or spike or any other protuberance of any material other than rubber (or other resilient material) which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire, except that it shall be permissible to use farm machinery with tires having protuberances which will not injure the highway and except also that it shall be permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon any vehicle when required for safety, because of snow, ice or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to skid. It shall also be permissible to use upon any vehicle for increased safety, regular and snow tires with studs which project beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire not more than one sixteenth of an inch when compressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yes... SC code of laws 56-5-5020
( Must have a muffler in good working order etc )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts