Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago I posted a thread on here saying that my '94 TT is making a ticking sound on deceleration. I first thought it was the stock twin turbos, since I've been running 20psi on them for the past year and are just waiting for them to go. However, I'm starting to notice that even if the turbos are out of boost (I'm electronically limited to TTC only), the ticking sound is still heard from under the car.

It hasn't been affecting the performance of the car at all, which suprised me, because I figured if it was the twins, they wouldn't be boosting correctly. However, I'm still hitting 20psi no problem.

Today after a short drive to a local store, I was on my way back and listening to the ticking every single time I came to a red light. When I got back to my house, I put the car in park (auto) and revved up to 4k RPM. As soon as I took my foot off the pedal at 4k, the ticking noise started and I could hear it all the way until the RPMs fell to around 2k, however, if I were to even blip the throttle just a little, the ticking would cease as if something were tightening up, but when I take my foot off the gas anywhere above 3k RPM, I just get this gnarly ticking noise coming from where the turbos are.

The ticking is getting worse. Does what I have described sound familiar to anyone? Is this a sure sign of the turbos going bad? Or do I have a bigger problem?

Thanks for the help guys.

- Patrick

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Check your torque convertor bolts. I had similar noises and it was torque convertor bolts coming lose and I caught mine before it was too late and screwed up my torque convertor.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call man. Thanks for your input. I'm gonna be putting the car up in the air later tonight and I'll check the torque converter bolts.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While I'm pulling the tranny, can someone tell me what ATF is recommended? Also, I'm curious to know how often you're supposed to change the ATF?

·
Blood for Blood
8,323 Posts
why are you pulling your tranny?

if you want to check the tq bolts that can be done with teh tranny in.. there is a little rubber window that pops out and you can spin the tq as long as the tranny is in N and get at the bolts that way but you need the tranny in P to tighten them down.

·
Hardtopper
2,473 Posts
A friend of mine had a TT Auto that would intermittently tick/tap -- it sounded like lifter tick and was pretty noticeable at low speeds with the windows down. The location of the sound was pretty deceiving and at one point he thought it might've been a spun rod bearing. If I remember correctly, it was something relatively minor like the fan clutch.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why are you pulling your tranny?

if you want to check the tq bolts that can be done with teh tranny in.. there is a little rubber window that pops out and you can spin the tq as long as the tranny is in N and get at the bolts that way but you need the tranny in P to tighten them down.
So spin the converter in N and tighten in P? There's 6 bolts, so are you saying I'm going to put the car in N and then P six different times to get at all the bolts? Or are they going to all line up once?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remember correctly, it was something relatively minor like the fan clutch.
I just replaced the fan clutch a few months ago and I checked it weekly for the first couple weeks. It definitely seems to be more like something in line with the tranny.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the torque converter and everything seemed okay. Even with the car in park, I couldn't get the converter to completely stop spinning but it gave me enough to check the bolts and all of them seemed fine. Seems like the car does it when it's hot but not cold. WTF's going on here? I'm almost ready to take it to Toyota and pay them the $90 to diagnose the damn thing.

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,884 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is your mid pipe (downpipe on a twin car) could be hitting the tranmission and making a rattle sound. Did you take a wrench and try to torque the bolts on the TC? Could be the bolts that hold the flex plate on the car as well.

·
Out on 2!
1,566 Posts
you can spin the tq as long as the tranny is in N and get at the bolts that way but you need the tranny in P to tighten them down.

Are you serious?

So spin the converter in N and tighten in P? There's 6 bolts, so are you saying I'm going to put the car in N and then P six different times to get at all the bolts? Or are they going to all line up once?
REALLY??

I checked the torque converter and everything seemed okay. Even with the car in park, I couldn't get the converter to completely stop spinning but it gave me enough to check the bolts
Lets think about this P/N thing and the convertor. The flexplate is bolted to the back of the engine. It is a solid piece of metal. The converter is solidly bolted to the flexplate. If the converter doesn't spin in park , how would your car run in park?

I mean seriously, the thing will spin in 1,2,D, OD, park, neutral, reverse( and no it doesn't spin backwards)....

Not being an ass, but I just had to correct this one... lol

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
maybe he was thinking of the driveshaft, because it does work when dealing with the driveshaft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts