Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Once again, a self-proclaimed newbie looking for ideas.

I just installed an Apexi boost controller but I can't recall if this noise was there before the installation.

When I am accelerating and the boost controller show positive boost I can hear a clicking noise... It's a somewhat fast but steady click and only on positive boost. Of course when the 2nd turbo kicks in, it's too loud to hear if it's still there.

Does this have to do with a solenoid or my turbo or boost controller or what?

Any ideas as to what this is would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tom

PS Also, is there a way to check if my first turbo is shot? It just doesn't seem to give that much power. Then again, maybe it's b/c I'm spoiled at how much boost I get when the 2nd turbo spools. Don't get me wrong...it's fast, but doesn't seem to have tons of power...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Does it sound like a clicking that the engine could be producing? If its a steady clicking like you say and kind of electrical sounding it could be the solenoid. As for the #1 turbo, how much boost is it hitting and by what rpms?

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
probably your boost control solenoid...Turn off your BC and see if you still have the problem. Where do you have th solenoid mointed, it should be hard to hear if it is anywhere near where it should be (in a location with the shortest hoses possible)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am having the same issue. Cruising there is no ticking but as soon as the turbos start to spool, there is a ticking consistent with rpm. I have a manual boost controller though. I can't hear it once I reach full boost as the exhaust drowns it out. My symptoms sound identical to yours.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Its definitely your boost control solenoid. As soon as your car starts to make boost, it starts trying to regulate it. If you mount the solenoid on a small peice of rubber or some other noise absorbing material, it should help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts