Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HottoMotto
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the other day, i went to go get a new tire on the passanger side, because towards the inside of my tires it started to wear down (i also had to replace the drivers side prior to replacing the passanger side). the first thing that i thought was wrong, was maybe an alignment. so i went to Mocktires here in my town, and told them i needed an alignment, and that my car steers kinda to the right. so they put it up on the machine, and said that my car needs new inner, and other tie rods... he had quoted me about $600 for all fours and an alignment, and almost $300+ for just the tierods alone. I just wanted to ask you guys if this sounds logical. Is there a cheaper alternative?... cause $300 is alittle to steep for me at the moment. any info would be helpful.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Napa has the inners for ~$50 each and the outer for ~$40 each. These prices are for Beck/Arnley. I ordered an inner one about a year ago, and it was the same exact forging used on the original. No need to pay more for the OEM one.

E

·
0 Posts
also tie rods are one of the easiest things to replace took me 15 mins once done go and have a alignment done imediately

·
HottoMotto
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can anyone explain more on the install? also the guy at the shop told me that the ones that you buy at like autozone or napa, etc aren't reliable, and would pull a ball out of socket(?). i might go get them at napa if their any good. i need info on replacement...

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
TSRM is your friend. I don't have the link handy, but you can search and find it. Also, if you own a supra, you need a manual of some sort, so do yourself a favor and at least pick up a haynes manual.

E

·
0 Posts
real simple theres a nut and a cotter pin that holds the outers near the wheel. Remove those lightly pop with a hammer the bolt that comes off the end of the outer rod. Then pull rubber boot back and youll see a large nut on the inners that screws into the steering rack take a large adjustable wrench and unscrew do the same for both sides. When reinstalling new tierods have some keep steering wheel str8 install new rods you will have to adjust tierods outer screws into inner or vice versa and eyeball your tires
try to get them as vertical as possible tighten down tierod double check your work make sure cotter pins are in safely. Its real simple jack the front of the car up and have a look see. And youll see why i said its simple hope this helps you good luck

·
HottoMotto
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright man, thanks for the info. also, i do have a tsrm, luckily it came with my car :) i just wanted to know sicne i was already online.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
ah man MOOG makes great tie rods beck/arnley as well! and that guy is full of shit if he said autozone,nappa, advanced tie rods are crap i'm willin to bet money they get them from any of those stores! They shop around to see who is cheaper get the cheapest ones slap them on. They call up get the listed price tell u thats what they cost when they themselves get them at the commercial cost!!!! ask me how i know!!! do it urself!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts