Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who holds the tighter piston to cylidner wall clearance. I'm looking for a forged piston with minimal slap problems at cold startup.

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
al

You might wanna get in touch with Jt from MAXX autoworks... he has done alot of 7m's using both brand pistons... think he generally recommends Ross. I remember reading a couple posts on piston slap with the JE's.. also someone commented on the slap in the product review on suprasport.

MAXX's # is (253) 661-0118

·
what will the future hold
916 Posts
I have been using wiseco pistons for two years now. My car has absolutely no piston slap. I think that a thing of the past. It once was a deal with silicon content but thats long gone. Just get a set of pistons you like and run.

Will

·
Turbonetics..faggot asses
1,062 Posts
I've got JE's in mine and mine is quiet as hell, no knock , no slap, just a nice "mmmmmmmmmmmmm"

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have JEs and I can hear it make some noise when cold. I set clearance to JEs recommendation of 4 thou measured half an inch up from the bottom of the skirt. After a minute or so, no noise at all.

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
I'm not sure on clearances, but i would not go with the JE pistons anyway. I am having my block rebuilt with Ross .017 over forged pistons, and my guy was telling me that JE's are a no. Where the 4 grooves are, the area between the grooves and the actual end of the piston is quite small, so it is likely to crack there. Genna had JE's and his pistons cracked right there. Ross or Wiseco's are the way to go, he told me. Hope that helps you somewhat, but i would stay away from the JE's.

- John

Edit - IF you do decide to go with the Ross pistons, check this place out. $520 shipped for mine and they came with rings and pins.

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

·
Registered
318 Posts
Alan,

Not sure which brand can run the tighest clearance, but here is some good general piston info.

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/engine_performance_tuning.html#Pistons

Mike Kojima wrote this article for SE-R.net, but it generally applies to all pistons I guess. He also wrote a series for Sport Compact Car called "Suck Squish Bang Blow". Awesome series of articles on engine inter-workings and there was a lot of really good info on pistons.

Dale H
87T

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
I think with the materials piston manufacturers are using nowadays, you can't go wrong. I have JEs and they don't slap at all, even when cold. Alan, why not go big bore with HKS? :)

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll lbe going with Ross pistons due to cost.

I *greatly* appreciate the link john. :) I'll be ordering soon I think.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
my JE pistons are set to .003, and installed with file fit rings. They sound beautiful. I paid just a little over 500 at flatlanderracing.com

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
that for 6

unless the 7m-GTE lost 2 cylinders and toyota forgot to tell us ;)

/sidenote:

What is the most common bore over?

.017" ?

Ross has a set of 3.285" bore pistons.

Reason for the q. I am about to embark in the rebuild of my 7M.

And at 500 bux for all six. I want to make sure i get the right one.

Also

Knife edging the crank. A big NO on the inline six crank if i remember right. Confirmation?

3,796 Posts
Good info guys!!

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
p5150 said:
my JE pistons are set to .003
That seems kinda tight for a turbo motor. Was that JE's recomendation? I got my Ross pistons today and they recommend .006" minimum skirt to wall clearance for a turbo motor. May be a little slap when it is cold. No big deal, my WRX does that from the factory. The deep skirts on the Ross pistons may keep them quiet though.

Ross pistons include rings, JE's do not. ;)

Tried to post a pic, but it woln't let me (yes I know how to link them). :rant:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
if ross recommends .006 clearance and the ross piston is 3.285. Then I need to bore the cylinders out to 3.291? Please correct me if I am wrong :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts