Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who run the Tilton triple disc clutch in their Supras, I have a question to ask. I bled the system and made sure the hydraulic release bearing was stroking only between .25" and .30". It seems to be right in the range, BUT the clutch engagement in the pedal is VERY low. With the clutch pedal depressed all the way, the driveshaft is able to to turn in gear, but just SLIGHTLY lifting off the pedal, the pressure plate has already clamped back down and the driveshaft can no longer turn in gear. Is this normal?

Also, the pedal has a lot of freeplay at the top. Is all this normal for the Tilton?

·
Registered
814 Posts
ive driven on a tilton before(not my car), and those clutches are on/off like no other and those things engage close to the clutch being depressed all the way so u dont have alot of room to travel with the pedal, i mean i definately dont think the driveshaft should be turning with it depressed all the way...ask woon i know he's running one

·
Banned
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've driven on a Tilton too before, but it doesnt exactly feel this way. The driveshaft should turn with the clutch pedal depressed all the way. There is a lot of freeplay at the top of the clutch pedal when first depressed.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
sngledsupe said:
ive driven on a tilton before(not my car), and those clutches are on/off like no other and those things engage close to the clutch being depressed all the way so u dont have alot of room to travel with the pedal, i mean i definately dont think the driveshaft should be turning with it depressed all the way...ask woon i know he's running one
On a triple carbon I think it's completely the opposite of what you said. You have to learn to ride the clutch quite a bit to get things rolling in 1st (depending on which flywheel you have), but after that it's super smooth and easy shifts. I have quite a bit of travel with my clutch and it doesn't fully engage until it's about halfway off the floor. Also keep in mind that the clutch will slip a little bit until you get some heat in it, the more heat the better with the carbon / carbon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
HyperHoHo1 said:
For those of you who run the Tilton triple disc clutch in their Supras, I have a question to ask. I bled the system and made sure the hydraulic release bearing was stroking only between .25" and .30". It seems to be right in the range, BUT the clutch engagement in the pedal is VERY low. With the clutch pedal depressed all the way, the driveshaft is able to to turn in gear, but just SLIGHTLY lifting off the pedal, the pressure plate has already clamped back down and the driveshaft can no longer turn in gear. Is this normal?

Also, the pedal has a lot of freeplay at the top. Is all this normal for the Tilton?
If you follow the instructions for install. The clutch is to enage approximately 1" from the floor. The reason for this is to keep the driver from over depressing the hyrdaulic throwout bearing and causing wear.

The clutch takes about 1" - 2" to engage so 3" off the floor and you should be completed engaged.

An Wes is correct you have to learn to slow your clutch leg down with the Tilton and slip it. And don't worry about hurting this clutch the more you beat it the more it likes it.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Also I've found it best to drive it with your toe. If you try and move your entire foot like you would with a single disk clutch you are liekly going to find it to have too fast a disengagment, or you will stall the car. If you plant your heel on the floor and pivot your foot rather than lift it through first you will get the hang of this clutch much quicker.

·
Registered
814 Posts
onelove...yes u do have to ride the clutch, but the one i drove on JimmyP's car it was like a damn on/off switch, but those clutches HAVE to be slipped....gotta love the tiltons tho cuz those bitches can take some abuse cant beat em for what you get with that price

1 - 8 of 8 Posts