Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
turbo interceptor
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. Before I get flamed I have searched various times on these cars. However, a lot of those threads are old and did not include information since most of these cars are relatively new. Anyway, i need a new daily within a few months, would like to spend around 20, but max is 25. NEED a manual, would like some reliability, most important is fun and looks. Just wondering what the opinion is of some of the people who have owned these cars. I am taking into account that most people will be Lexus biased :) .

·
turbo interceptor
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jet864 said:
Do you need it to be all weather? Eliminate the RWDers if you do and go with the STi.

James
No not neccesarily. Ive had a RWD car for fours years now and it has done pretty well with the snow, even took it snowboarding a few times. So im not really leaning either way. Im more concerned about how its gonna behave on dry pavement.

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
If you can deal with having a little downtime a project might be a good idea, pick up a cheap SC300, have a compatent local shop do a GTE swap, get some used MKIV wheels/brakes, new shocks springs, bushings, go BPU, get the front seats redone (most likley would need it at least), and get a fresh coat of paint on there. If you do a lot of the work youself (easy stuff like brakes/shocks/bolt ons) and get some good deals or get used boost controlers and stuff you should be right in your range.

Either have a pretty rare nice car or a cookie cutter car.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd vote for the STI (just bought an 05 and I love it) but not too many on the market for 25K (ditto for the G35 coupes). The STI is just too fun to drive... great throttle response, close ratio six speed and excellent balance.

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
A used 2000-2001 Audi S4 is a fantastic value since they can be had in the low $20k range. Not sure about longevity/maintenance though, but they can be modded conservatively (mild chip upgrade) and probably still get you around with not many worries. Bang for the buck is hard to beat since you get performance and a very nice interior too. :)

Steve T.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My IS300 was a worthless pos in the snow. Stay away!

Can you even get an STI or G35(sedan?) for less than 25?

I'd get a turbo S4 like Steve said. But I do hear they have some reliability problems when modded, can anyone chime in on that?

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Super boot,
I'm in a similiar situation and will be considering a EVO or STi. IS300 should be out of the picture unless you plan on doing a swap. The s4 is nice but Audi is NOT known for reliability. Take a look at Consumer Reports. Like someone else said, if you need to drive the car year round including in snow/ice, consider the STi. I am still thinking about a G35c also but I don't know...it's still RWD which might give me grief in heavy snow/ice patches.

VRA, for some reason the STi/EVO dont keep their values as well. I see them selling for 22-23k.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Look for a MB.

you can get a clk, s class, c class, ml, lot of choices... If it was me i would track down a 99-00 CLK55 benz. or a 98-02 E55. 345hp 380lbtq... run 13's all day long. and will do john force style burnouts.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Only get the S4 if you do not plan on chipping. You can get some downpipes, exhaust, and intake that will boost whp by 30 or so. A chipped S4 is a ticking time bomb and you will replace your turbos, which could be a good thing ;)

Sam

·
Divine Alpine
88 Posts
My DD is the S4. I for one like the aggresive look of the S4/M3. I got the S4 for its AWD and year round fun. Mine is stock and haven't had any troubles. If you don't care about having RWD during the winter then any of those cars a good picks.

·
turbo interceptor
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. The G35 coupe is a little bit out of my price range, but not so much that I wouldnt get one. I saw a blue STI in the paper with 22k for 26,000 at a small used car lot, so they are more around my price. I really do like the S4's, they have been a dream car of mine since they came out. However, after reading up on them and the problems they run into both stock and modded, I don't think I could buy one for daily driving duties. The STI would be my first choice, but im not too crazy about how flashy the car is, dont feel like having every guy in a mustang/civic burning out next to me at lights. Also, i could just save my money and buy a cheap reliable beater honda. Still weighing my options.;)

B

·
0 Posts
Super Boot said:
Thanks for the input guys. The G35 coupe is a little bit out of my price range, but not so much that I wouldnt get one. I saw a blue STI in the paper with 22k for 26,000 at a small used car lot, so they are more around my price. I really do like the S4's, they have been a dream car of mine since they came out. However, after reading up on them and the problems they run into both stock and modded, I don't think I could buy one for daily driving duties. The STI would be my first choice, but im not too crazy about how flashy the car is, dont feel like having every guy in a mustang/civic burning out next to me at lights. Also, i could just save my money and buy a cheap reliable beater honda. Still weighing my options.;)

:eek: 22K miles on an STI, at a Used car lot. That sounds like trouble to me.

·
KILL THE WABBIT!
253 Posts
VRA said:
My IS300 was a worthless pos in the snow. Stay away!

Can you even get an STI or G35(sedan?) for less than 25?

I'd get a turbo S4 like Steve said. But I do hear they have some reliability problems when modded, can anyone chime in on that?
yeah my good friend had one.

he modded it with a chip from either APR or AWE-TUNING
and it started to run really bad...

PLUS, mods for those are more costly than for the regular A4 audi...

it was an AWESOME car - tons of fun - but had some issues...

not sure if thats the norm but he sold his because of it.

i'd still look into them - maybe keep it stock or just add exhaust...

and for 20K you won't get a nice G35 coupe (maybe a sedan with hi miles)

·
KILL THE WABBIT!
253 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
Check for Volvos, especially the S60R. :)

-Olivier

can't get one of those for 20 or 25K either ;)

:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts