Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just snapped my drive shaft and I'm in need for a new one. I've looked around and found Titans Carbon fiber one for 1800, ACPT driveshaft for 1350, and PHR's Carbon driveshaft for 1665. Does anyone have experience with any of the above? Right now i'm bpu but planning to go single, but i don't know how much power i want to be putting down. Is there one that i can't go wrong with? BTW, the OEM one is online like 600 i think. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
get the oem from curt for $470. the oem driveshaft can handle a lot ow power. don't waste your money on an aftermarket unless you have extra cash laying around or you plan to make crazy power.
i brought the one piece aluminum driveshaft from driveshaft.com and it's no big deal. paid 400 plus core. i think my one piece driveshaft vibrates.... i have to send it back... if i had to do it again i would stick to the stock driveshaft.

hope that helps.

p.s. i have sp74ho with all the goodies... so power is definitely there

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
i wasn't aware there was an aluminum driveshaft for the mkiv. anyone else have it? what does it weigh?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
my88itch said:
get the oem from curt for $470. the oem driveshaft can handle a lot ow power. don't waste your money on an aftermarket unless you have extra cash laying around or you plan to make crazy power.
i brought the one piece aluminum driveshaft from driveshaft.com and it's no big deal. paid 400 plus core. i think my one piece driveshaft vibrates.... i have to send it back... if i had to do it again i would stick to the stock driveshaft.

hope that helps.

p.s. i have sp74ho with all the goodies... so power is definitely there
That is the problem you find with the one piece steel or aluminum driveshafts... they are very hard to balance for our cars. The carbon fiber is much easier to balance.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
are you suggesting a carbon fiber driveshaft would be a good mod to do? ive heard they only save a couple pounds and splinter easier than our stockers twist.

by the way... i sent you a PM (M Miller)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Big Stick Supra just snapped a ACPT Carbon fiber shaft, it was the strongest one. Wheel hop will shred a carbon driveshaft like celery in a blender.

IMO Get the stock one with a smooth slippable clutch like RPS CC. No more "hard" launches!

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
My chromoly driveshaft isn't balanced right... A friends carbon fiber one isn't balanced right either....

Hopefully I can get mine balanced perfectly somehwere...

G

·
acpt uses 1310 joints when it should use 1350, the tms driveshaft is tested and works great.

Not a one has broken yet with cars over 1000+hp.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
It seems like the majority of cars (at least that I've seen/heard about) breaking driveshafts are 6 speed cars on sticky tires. Anyone in an auto ever break one?

Andrew

·
Registered
485 Posts
No, but some owners care less about their car than to run one good time by beating hard on the car.

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SUPRAT said:
Big Stick Supra just snapped a ACPT Carbon fiber shaft, it was the strongest one. Wheel hop will shred a carbon driveshaft like celery in a blender.

IMO Get the stock one with a smooth slippable clutch like RPS CC. No more "hard" launches!
Wheel hop was my enemy. I also had my nitto 555r's on. (sticky) and yes i do have the RPS CC. I still have to get used to that clutch, just got it in a couple of weeks ago and driven the car just a few times but now it's just sitting there looking beautiful! :D

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
wow i didnt know 430 wheel could do that...what suspension do you have?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Brought this from the dead, but I broke a ACPT CF DS. Just for the record.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts