Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1989 turbo/targa/auto 82k and bpu
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going over this in my head for months and I've come to the conclusion its time to unload my Mkiii's and all the stuff that goes with them.
I'm planning to buy a big chunk of property soon and need space for things like a tractor and implements...things that I'll actually use. I've had at least 1 supra and often 3 or more since I was 17...Im 37 now and as cool as these old cars are they just don't fit into my lifestyle anymore. I've been a certified master tech for 17 years and the thought of tinkering with them just brings me no joy anymore, so the time has come.
I'd prefer to unload it all at once. However, I need to get things inventoried and photographed so this post may take me a bit to finish. I got a good start today though so figured I start this out and see what input the community might have.
I'll start with the 1989 Turbo/Targa Automatic:
-84,xxx miles
-starts, runs, drives great.
-no smoke, no noise
-BPU: manual boost controller, 3" turbo back, old HKS twin tip exhaust(quiet)
- Reconditioned head, are studs, stock toyota gasket, every seal but rear main replaced, new timing belt/water pump, hoses, fluid, intercooler boots, over sized trabs cooler, shift kit.
-No leaks
-body is straight and solid
-only rust is center of hatch where spoiler mounts-easy fix.
-Needs paint, clear is gone/faded heavily right down the center, honestly the only issue with the car.
- AC/heat work properly, but will need a compressor as the nose seal leaks and only holds a charge for about a month, verified with ac dye.
-kyb struts with eibach springs
-new calipers/rotors/pads all around
-18" F1 wheels staggered with toyo Extensa hp rubber...no rubbing at all.
-under 3 years and 3k miles on tires/wheels and all new components listed above.
275 rear, 245 from
- needs nothing, would hop in and drive it anywhere.
see photos below:
Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Light Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Line Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Grille Hood Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive parking light

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More of the '89...

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Further details on the '89:
-taillights have small cracks, but I have a spare set that are in great shape.
-has some sun fade on tops of rear seat backs
-three small holes on top of right interior door panel.

Extra performance parts available to go with it:
-Brand new never opened RC 550cc injectors with new plugs/seals/orings.
-Lexus sc400 AFM
-SAFS2 with harness
- HKS vpc with full harness/map and temp sensors and patch harness(for 3sget, but can be modified or spliced into 7m ecu)
-Areomotive FPR, full drift motion kit, never opened
- fresh, never installed .57trim ct-26 with billet compressor wheel
-new direct plug in Denso O2 sensor
  • driftmotion cps rebuild kit and magnet mod
  • new turbo mounting hardware
  • peak/hold boost gauge- new in box
-AEM wide band, new in box
-New Toyota Targa seals for car and top
-New walbro 341 pump and install kit
-old school MAFT with MAF sensor and instructions
-old school Blitz DSBC boost controller- works great, but need new boost solenoid
-AEM dryflow cone filter new in box Hand Automotive tire Gas Personal protective equipment Glove Gas Machine Auto part Engineering Fashion accessory Automotive lighting Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Font Light Product Font Material property Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper Gadget Font Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Gas Font Gadget Electric blue Automotive tire Digital camera Reflex camera Camera lens Mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera Hand Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting Toy Automotive exterior Auto part Plastic Font Motor vehicle

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also have an almost complete R154 5 spd swap. Only missing clutch pedal, drive shaft and slave/master cylinders.
Includes:
-R154 trans- don't have much info on it other than its from a '90 Supra 7mgte that had been rolled and sitting for long time. Been in my garage since pulled.
-used Fidanza flywheel- would suggest installing new wear surface
- New in box southbend clutch kit
-OE and some unknown short throw shifter
  • New OE throwout bearing collar
  • new OE speedo cable adapter
-rear trans cross member Asphalt Road surface Font Art Wall Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Audio equipment Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim Wheel Tire Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Food Automotive tire Font Bumper Gas

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have an '87 Hardtop 5spd turbo to unload.
-interior is mostly stripped, but have everything on shelves.
-has Del Sol front seats- super light and fit well. also have factory seats
- built engine:
-Ross forged pistons
-peened/polished stock rods
-fully balanced
-relocated oil filter with bypass filter and oversized oil cooler
-HKS bead type MHG with ARP studs
-ARP main studs/rod studs and nuts
-clevite rod/main bearings
-shimmed oil pump with high-flow discharge line
-550cc injectors
-Aeromotive FPR
- walbro 255 pump
-driftmotion intercooler and pipe kit
-oldschool supra sport BOSS stage 5 turbo
-BIC divorced/,recirculating downpipe
-3" exhaust with twin tip flow master(loud)
-Starts/runs/drives on Mega Squirt full stand alone with full custom harness integrated into factor dash harness so all gauges work.
- Needs tuning and boost control set up for the mega squirter unit.
-lq9 GM coils- sitting on plugs with 1zz coil boots for now, need to make mounting brackets.
-under 3k miles on engine build, almost all of which were with stock turbo/ecu. Maybe 30 miles on mega squirt just doing base/auto tuning.
- fidanza flywheel/act 6 puck sprung hub clutch
-Needs Brake work, tires, struts(have new kyb for it).
-Only sketchy part of the car is that the Title says its a targa as it was a whole shell swap from a '87 turbo/targa that was wrecked.
Entire driveline, interior etc was swapped into a bare '87 hardtop shell from a salvage yard...they told me they could get me a title...they lied.
All VIN plates match the title its registered under.
Pictures to follow for the '87, didn't get there today.
I also have a bunch of body parts, interior parts, hardware, bare 7mgte block, 7m stock rods, 4.10 rear diff, bunch of miscellaneous window trim, at least one stock ct26, some ac compressors(cores, seals leak), stock 16" sawblade wheels, 3" straight through intercooler(BIG)...and who knows what else.
Will get photos of that stuff up this week.

I need to get a price on this stuff and get it gone. Any input o nthat matter appreciated

Don't start blowing me up with PMs about individual things...I won't answer. If you have interest in the whole lot or large portion of it, we can talk. However the purpose of this post is to try to get a fair price set on everything, not a sale listing.
Thanks everyone, sorry for the crazy long post...Kinda sad to have to make it, but moving onto a new chapter.

·
Super Moderator
11,412 Posts
Sucks to get to this point, but I think a lot of us "Young OG's" get there as we're all getting into our 30's and 40's.

That '89 is a really nice car with some cosmetic/misc stuff that drags it down a lot in the current market. As it sits, I'd say $7500 or so would be fair.
What sucks is that with clean original paint, window trims, etc, and a detailed engine bay and 100% A/C etc, it'd easily pull 12-14k instead, if not more.
By fixing the A/C and cleaning up the engine bay, reinstalling the charcoal canister, replacing the taillights, etc I'd say asking $9k OBO would be fair.

The '87's a lot more complicated because of the title issues. Honestly, you might be best selling that one for a deal to a local buyer so they don't have to re-title it out of state. Tuned cars making safe HP sell a lot easier than a project car that 'needs a tune'. Also consider parting it out and selling the car as a rolling chassis.
The engine/ECU/BOSS turbo etc all have a lot more value in pieces than this car has as a whole because of the 'because racecar' gutted state, needing a tune, and the title issues.

I'd offer a lot of the additional go-fast parts at a 'deal' to the buyer of the car(s) instead of trying to snowball it all in together.

Individually, this is my shoot-from-the-hip appraisal:

Extra performance parts available to go with it:
-Brand new never opened RC 550cc injectors with new plugs/seals/orings. $250
-Lexus sc400 AFM $150
-SAFS2 with harness $150-200
- HKS vpc with full harness/map and temp sensors and patch harness(for 3sget, but can be modified or spliced into 7m ecu) $250 if complete with 7M-GTE SUP009B or SUP011N EPROM, $150 if not
-Areomotive FPR, full drift motion kit, never opened $220 (current driftmotion price new is $244)
- fresh, never installed 57trim ct-26 with billet compressor wheel $700
-new direct plug in Denso O2 sensor $30 (new is like $40)
-driftmotion cps rebuild kit and magnet mod $40 (new is $50
-new turbo mounting hardware (I'd throw this in with the fresh 57 trim CT)
-peak/hold boost gauge- new in box (What brand? what scale and is it in PSI? - honestly I'd find the part number and google it and search for it on ebay and see what you got.)
-AEM wide band, new in box (Uego? Need to ID the exact part number here for best results. New UEGO's are just under $200)
-New Toyota Targa seals for car and top (Google the exact part numbers, the body side seals are still available for about $110 each but I'm not sure about the targa side seals)
-New walbro 341 pump and install kit (Assuming you mean a GSS341 255LPH pump, $100)
-old school MAFT with MAF sensor and instructions ($200-300 to the right buyer that wants it and knows what they're getting into)
-old school Blitz DSBC boost controller- works great, but need new boost solenoid (W/O solenoid it's not worth a whole lot, $75-100)
-AEM dryflow cone filter new in box (I'd google the part number, if it's an intake kit for the MK3 it's worth a lot more than just a loose filter)
Also have an almost complete R154 5 spd swap. Only missing clutch pedal, drive shaft and slave/master cylinders.
Includes:
-R154 trans- don't have much info on it other than its from a '90 Supra 7mgte that had been rolled and sitting for long time. Been in my garage since pulled.
-used Fidanza flywheel- would suggest installing new wear surface
-New in box southbend clutch kit
-OE and some unknown short throw shifter
-New OE throwout bearing collar
-new OE speedo cable adapter
-rear trans cross member
With a 7M-GTE bell housing, $1500-1750 for the whole package here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part Automotive tire Hood Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Car Automotive tire Product Bicycle part Nickel Rim Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Tread Font

Interior for white '87...its all there and then some. Two or 3 front nose pieces.
Also have a set of custom fiberglass body side moldings, complete set new in box.
Have all the window trim and extras as well as all the body trim/panels/mud flaps/fender liners etc...etc...etc....pretty much everything anyone would need to put the white car back together with spare parts to boot.

I'm thinking of listing the whole lot of it for $15k and see where it goes.
Have clean Ohio titles for both cars....
Thoughts????

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
honest thoughts.....

Its overwhelming Alex. Ive been in the game 20 years... I have 15k and I can't motivate myself to dig through all the details of your post and consider it all (knowing full well how desirable many of these parts are / how many angles there are here to make money and improve my personal car at the same time)

thats just totally my impression......coming from a guy who let his supra sit for most of the summer so Im not really one to talk about motivation (towards supra's) lol

again its just a lot to take in. could you split this up into two cars and a parts lot and make more - sure, but that requires a lot of leg work on your end. I get it.

I do think the car with the messed up title really compounds things. Seems potentially illegal (imho, in my state) and a major red flag. You know about the broken window theory right ? a person sees one (obvious) thing wrong/sketchy and they view everything else as a potential problem. personally I would not sell it as a lot bc of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,412 Posts
Honest thoughts? Your buyer for the 'take it all' package is going to be an OG that got out of the game, and wants back in. Another possibility is a guy like me that's still in the game and can't help themselves from buying all that stuff.
Selling to any other kind of buyer is going to be a follow-on nightmare full of questions and constant hassling of 'what did you do here?' and 'What is this for?'. Having been there, it's not worth it.

If I were in your position, and I wanted to liquidate all of that stuff - my method would be to finish up the blue car to be as nice as possible, sell it as a complete car with the extra parts as negotiation fodder for the sale, and part out the white '87 and sell everything else individually as a part out or sensible parts 'packages'.

But you can always post it for sale as a package deal, and see if anyone bites, and take the divide & conquer approach later.

Reactions: sworley

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
🤣...Pawn stars..."my expert says its worth $20000...I'll give you $100...that's my best offer"

No, I get it...its a whole lot to lump together and take in.

I put it up on market place for shits and giggles, obviously getting blown up on the Blue car. That'll sell fine. I'll give it a couple weeks and see what happens. I've been around and around on the white car.
Both the cars put together to make the white supra were '87 turbo models. Literally the only difference was one was smashed up blue targa, the other was gutted/stripped to bare shell white hardtop...I was 19 and ignorant at the time, so in my mind it was all fine. I just had to pay alittle higher insurance for the targa top i didn't have. I realize that could be an issue, but it was literally just a rebody...which had I known at the time I would have just had it titled that way. I may very well just strip it down and part it out and scrap the shell if it comes down to it...just seems like a waste.
🤔Or sell it as a running turbo 5spd with standalone ECM full swap parts car with no title🤷‍♂️...its all in the wording/marketing I guess 😉...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure about your state, but in Oregon at least getting a title for a "missing title" isn't hard, the state just takes its time... Might at least be worth exploring...

Man I've got eyes on some of those parts you listed no joke but my car fund is seriously depleted right now... Let us know how things go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had mine since 1990..And I have about that amount of parts over time, the joys of upgraded from 7mge to 7mgte to 2jzgte vvti. These cars easily can sell upward of 20gs alone, the pics you are posting are in that ballfield with bluey there. You will never get for the parts you paid upfront but you have some instant gold there. The R154 gold...Add atleast another 1000. I would go on ebay and see the prices people are selling, and go way lower...they are trying to molest buyers, but it will give you a decent idea. To sell all at once will be hard, tooo many lowballers and bustas out there playing around. If you wanted an instant sell, with just the one car and the R154 and parts it should go fast if you said 30g for it all...Then sell the hardtop later. :)

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
828 Posts
I also have an '87 Hardtop 5spd turbo to unload.
-interior is mostly stripped, but have everything on shelves.
-has Del Sol front seats- super light and fit well. also have factory seats
- built engine:
-Ross forged pistons
-peened/polished stock rods
-fully balanced
-relocated oil filter with bypass filter and oversized oil cooler
-HKS bead type MHG with ARP studs
-ARP main studs/rod studs and nuts
-clevite rod/main bearings
-shimmed oil pump with high-flow discharge line
-550cc injectors
-Aeromotive FPR
- walbro 255 pump
-driftmotion intercooler and pipe kit
-oldschool supra sport BOSS stage 5 turbo
-BIC divorced/,recirculating downpipe
-3" exhaust with twin tip flow master(loud)
-Starts/runs/drives on Mega Squirt full stand alone with full custom harness integrated into factor dash harness so all gauges work.
- Needs tuning and boost control set up for the mega squirter unit.
-lq9 GM coils- sitting on plugs with 1zz coil boots for now, need to make mounting brackets.
-under 3k miles on engine build, almost all of which were with stock turbo/ecu. Maybe 30 miles on mega squirt just doing base/auto tuning.
- fidanza flywheel/act 6 puck sprung hub clutch
-Needs Brake work, tires, struts(have new kyb for it).
-Only sketchy part of the car is that the Title says its a targa as it was a whole shell swap from a '87 turbo/targa that was wrecked.
Entire driveline, interior etc was swapped into a bare '87 hardtop shell from a salvage yard...they told me they could get me a title...they lied.
All VIN plates match the title its registered under.
Pictures to follow for the '87, didn't get there today.
I also have a bunch of body parts, interior parts, hardware, bare 7mgte block, 7m stock rods, 4.10 rear diff, bunch of miscellaneous window trim, at least one stock ct26, some ac compressors(cores, seals leak), stock 16" sawblade wheels, 3" straight through intercooler(BIG)...and who knows what else.
Will get photos of that stuff up this week.

I need to get a price on this stuff and get it gone. Any input o nthat matter appreciated

Don't start blowing me up with PMs about individual things...I won't answer. If you have interest in the whole lot or large portion of it, we can talk. However the purpose of this post is to try to get a fair price set on everything, not a sale listing.
Thanks everyone, sorry for the crazy long post...Kinda sad to have to make it, but moving onto a new chapter.
I'm sort of interested in seeing where you end up on this one. I recently bought a 2021 WRX STi but I don't like being Supraless. For the right price I might buy it. I'm in Ohio too, so title problems are probably not an issue.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts