Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
figured this would be the best place to ask about tires.
i just got done installing my HKS hypermax4s after having Tien HAs for about 15 years and its already made such a huge difference but my BFG KDWs are old and starting to crack so i'm looking to upgrade.
i also have TRD sway bars and will be getting a corner balance and alignment after the tires incase thats all a factor in selecting tires.
currently have 255/35/18, 295/35/18. only change i'm looking to make is going with a 265/40 in the front to get a little wider and taller for ground clearance and to get closer to that 26".
i've always ran Michelins on my DDs and loved them but never on the supra and was thinking its time to change that, maybe.
on tirerack i cant seem to find too much of a selection, years ago it seemed like there was a huge selection in those sizes, but the PS2 and Super Sport do come up. the Conti Extremecontact sport also comes up.
any advice? i've been running KDWs for over 10 years and they were ok for when i was daily driving, nothing spectacular but got the job done and looked cool lol.
ive never road raced but would like to do a couple weekend events this year as a noob but this is mostly a fun street car.

any advice?

thanks

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,153 Posts
Michelin Pilot Super Sport FTW! Very capable track tires for a Supra, until you get into the top 25% group of drivers. And they are quiet.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Tires have come a long way and you’re in for a pleasant surprise. Few questions back at you first

1: ok with summer only tires?

2: is appearance truly a factor?

3: how many miles do you expect to get out of a set? Sounds like age gets them before miles but figure I’d ask.

4: what’s your wheel widths?

I wouldn’t get too concerned over the tire dimensions. A lot of the companies have...fudged their numbers, and compromising tire selection over 10mm is a losing battle.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Summer is ok with me, I don't really expect to drive it in the rain.
Appearance isn't a huge factor but I like the way my current sizes fit.
Mileage isn't a huge issue either, your right, since it stopped being my DD the age gets to them faster.
9" front 10" rear

Thank you guys

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Sorry it took a little to get back to you. Had to look up sizing options.

Primary recommendation - Yokohama A052. It’s the “cheater tire” at the moment for the 200tw category. And conveniently comes in the sizes you want. But it’s pricey.

Next two you’ll have to compromise on sizes. I’d recommend the Re71r first and the Hankook RS4 next.

Again, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of grip you pick up with a fresh set of any of the above 3 tires.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Forgot to add, you mentioned Michelin earlier and I truly am a big fan of their tires. They truly are high quality, but they just haven’t dabbled in the 200tw fast tire war.

The Pilot Sport 4s is a great tire. Ride quality, rain, etc, is all good. Just won’t be quite as fast or provide as good of feedback in a perfect dry day like the ones above.

·
966 Posts
How do the A052s sound after some miles?

I've had a set of [albeit] hard A048s and they were louder than BFGoodrich KM2s on my truck (kidding/not kidding).

My current AD08Rs on my MR2 (and Supra) have gotten loud over time.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Forgot to add, you mentioned Michelin earlier and I truly am a big fan of their tires. They truly are high quality, but they just haven’t dabbled in the 200tw fast tire war...

What about the sport cup 2?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I already pulled the trigger on the Michelins last week.

Hardvin, I will try this out and look at the others you mentioned next time. Im sure I don't have as much experience driving hard as you do so those would probably be a waste for me ATM lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
In case anyone does consider it, I wouldn't recommend any of those tires in the rain with a sidewall under 40R. Or any tire over a 275 width. It's dangerous at any speed over 50MPH

·
Registered
679 Posts
I actually just put on a new set of Yokohama A052 and ran in Thunderhill East with wet conditions. I definitely took it easy but it performed pretty good in my opinion.

·
Registered
566 Posts
First quesition: track or street? It isn't the same or even close. None of the street tires will handle the heat of the track. None of the track tires return the ride and noise expected on the street.

Second question: why are you going to track a 20+ year old classic? Those are very old bushings and joints. Brakes that are fine on the street can overheat on the track. Others can chime in to the frequency of accidents...some never have them...some total their car first time out.

This tire discussion occurs all the time on the S2000, a car with a similar suspension to the Supra that is extensively tracked. There are lots of tradeoffs, but key: for just driving around, you are far more concerned with having a tire that communicates, lasts the whole session without getting 'greasy', doesn't wear out after a few sessions, gives feedback and is both benign and responsive around the limit.

265/40-18 is an tall front. Coupled with a 295/30 rear it could give the car a noise up attitude or a strange combination of front and rear suspension geometry.

The 265/35-18 is OEM height. A 265/35 285/30 pair is available with the Continental ExtremeContact Sport for the street and the Bridgestone RE71r for the track. The RE71r is a competitive autocross tire and an ok track day tire that doesn't like a lot of heat. It also wears out quickly on track days and makes quite a roar over concrete. It turns out to be a decent rain tire. I have them on my S2000 for autocross.

The A052 has been reissued for 2019 with a 7/32nds vs 6/32nds tread to qualify for US autocrosses. It is now available only in limited sizes in the US but that is expected to change over time. Lots of other track day tires like the Hankook RS4 and Falken RT615K+ (which is used in the Spec Corvette class) don't come in Supra sizes. The A052 does have a 265/35 front, but would have to be matched with a 315/30 rear until their 295/30 becomes available.

Note: although the S2000 is a bit lighter and usually has less horsepower, it has a similar suspension and came with similarly sized tires and wheels (215/45-245/40 vs 235/45-255/40).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts