Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cam gears are lined up with the marks on the Cam cover plate. Lower pulley mark is lined up with the 0 on the timing tab. CPS is not inserted yet, and I will go over pics John Lunsford has of his success with inserting his CPS into a fresh motor.

Question do I have it timed right so far?

I want to attach the timing belt and hand turn the crank to see if there is any interference with the valves and Pistons. Is this a good idea before I attach everything back onto the engine?

BHG went with ARP 80lbs on stock Toyota gasket. Head resurfaced with valve job, and block cleaned by hand.

Thanks

Dominic

PS we really do not have a good write up on how to fix BHGs. I found one decent one on a UK supra site with pics.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
look at cyl 1 and see if its at TDC as long as its at TDC and the cams are at their mark you can put the belt on and rotate it 2/3 FULL times to make sure its all good after all the rotating... FYI these are non-interference motors so if the timing was off you wouldn't know by the valves hitting the pistons as they wont do that

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes #1 is TDC and the pully mark is at 0. Also the valves on #1 were closed when I put the head on. Thanks for the non interference info, I should have known that being around these cars so long. Of course having a low mile car does not help me learn any.

THANK YOU TOYOTA FOR THE NON INTER :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes #1 is TDC and the pully mark is at 0. Also the valves on #1 were closed when I put the head on. Thanks for the non interference info, I should have known that being around these cars so long. Of course having a low mile car does not help me learn any.

THANK YOU TOYOTA FOR THE NON INTER :)

Well when you put the head on, the cam gears probably weren't lined up. When you did line them up, different valves opened and closed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well when you put the head on, the cam gears probably weren't lined up. When you did line them up, different valves opened and closed.

I put the cam gears/timing cover on before I dropped the head on. The cam gears were placed on with the dowel pin in the middle hole on each gear , and they both lined up equally to the notches on the cover.

·
Addicted to oil
3,292 Posts
I put the cam gears/timing cover on before I dropped the head on. The cam gears were placed on with the dowel pin in the middle hole on each gear , and they both lined up equally to the notches on the cover.
What you describe so far is correct but....you put the cams in and then the head on the block? Super risky.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What you describe so far is correct but....you put the cams in and then the head on the block? Super risky.
The head was completed at the head shop. I threw the cam gears on before I put the head on. What could of happened by adding the cam gears before putting the head on? Super Risky you say?

Maybe something I did was risky but I am not aware, similar to not knowing about the non interference.

·
Addicted to oil
3,292 Posts
What i'm asking is if the valves were open when you put the head on the block. They would be exposed to damage.

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
If the cam gears are all lined up then I would double check the CPS with everything set to TDC.

·
Registered
109 Posts
im having the same problem too...did everything that was mentioned above and still cannot get timing right...when car is at 10 deg...its very sluggish..when advanced to 12-15 then it moves...also im working with a damn dead turbo...so not sure if thats playing a role in that...

·
Registered
746 Posts
im having the same problem too...did everything that was mentioned above and still cannot get timing right...when car is at 10 deg...its very sluggish..when advanced to 12-15 then it moves...also im working with a damn dead turbo...so not sure if thats playing a role in that...
That sounds like maybe you have an injector or two with the wire plugs mixed up. Maybe did not plug them into the correct injector? If a plug is mixed between batches, then advancing the timing does put the spark onto the out of time injector pulse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts