Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My '98 TT has only 44,000 miles on it, but it is, of course, now 11 years old. Think I should have the timing belt changed?

Also, I'm going to do the 50,000 service (a bit early, obviously), and I'd rather they not mess with the valve adjustment unless it really needs it (which I doubt). Should I just say "don't worry about the valves"?

It's a stock motor, and runs very strong (I do have an aftermarket exhaust w/high-flow cat).

·
stop playin wit mah name
1,931 Posts
Don't worry about the valves. Your timing belt should be changed at about 60k miles. Does the belt look worn or cracked? If you're replacing the belt, replace the water pump and idler pulley while you're at it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry about the valves. Your timing belt should be changed at about 60k miles. Does the belt look worn or cracked? If you're replacing the belt, replace the water pump and idler pulley while you're at it.
I haven't looked at it. I don't wrench my own motor.

Good advise, on the water pump, I think. It will take a few more years to hit 60k miles, in any case. 8)

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,888 Posts
I would change the timing belt my friend had issues with his on a 39k 1994 tt Supra not too long ago. Does it smoke at startup? If so while you're in there do the stem seals. Might want to think about a water pump at the same time as someone already suggested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts