Supra Forums banner

Do you use or beileve in using a timing belt cover?

• YES

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No.

Votes: 6 28.6%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i wanted a to get a general consensus on weather to use the timing belt cover. I am building my first 1jz right now, and i have often seen people not cover their timing belt. I have a set of HKS Adjustable Cam Gears and part of me wants to show them off. I was just wondering what people thought, cover or no cover?

I found this also, which is kinda cool. Obviously it wont work for a 1jz, so it doesnt help, but it is cool.

http://www.suprastore.com/aticlletico7.html

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'll keep mine since it's daily driven and if soemthing gets in there it's gonna make a mess real quick...

I HAVE seen people cut a window in theirs and then put clear plastic there...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I used to not care.... but ever since this past weekend where I got a bolt stuck down there somehow and it destroyed my belt and crank pully....

·
Banned
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to not care.... but ever since this past weekend where I got a bolt stuck down there somehow and it destroyed my belt and crank pully....
DAMN! Yeah, i think i am going to stick with the covers, maybe get some cool looking clear covers sometime, but it really seems smart. Maybe take them off for show, but otherwise keep them on. I am sorry to hear about your loss. that is awful!

·
function > form
512 Posts
Sure as hell believe in keeping the bottom cover on, but I don't have my top cover on. Used to have the ATI clear cover on my old car. After a shop did the timing belt and front seals on that car, the cover cracked in three places and became real foggy. Might have been their fault, might have been from oil spraying (cam seals were toast) combined with engine heat, or maybe it was a cheap grade of plastic. I called JSC about it, but they didn't help me get in contact with the company at all.

In the end, I can't see how a big enough rock would find its way up there to get wedged between the belt and a sprocket.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Doesn't need to be big to start shredding a belt then it's just a matter of time until you're stranded on the side of the road...

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I agree IJ

it's a DUST cover as well, that dust will also get into your seals and ruin them, there is a reason they're on there!!!!

·
function > form
512 Posts
Very good points. Might put mine back on soon, matter of fact. Only put 1000 miles w/o it. Drove my last car about 10,000 miles w/o the cover.

The 7M-GTE is non-interference and GE is interference-type because of compression ratios, right?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
nope, even the GE is non interference (large cams CAN make them interference, but that's not common on 7M's)

but chewed up timing belt and gear in the middle of nowhere would SUUUUUUUCK

·
function > form
512 Posts
Hmmm... didn't think they were interference, but a friend of a friend supposedly bent the valves in her engine after the timing belt snapped. The guy that told me about it lives in TX, so I didn't see it for myself. Maybe the chick was running high rpm when it happened. Maybe the hg was changed and they had to shave the head down a lot to make it flat again. Don't know.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
it is possible to remove too much from the head and use a HG that is too thin, or even oversized valves and have an infearance motor...

it's not dificult to clearance everything and any good shop can do it...

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
I like cam covers, and they're there for a reason. Keep them on unless you're tuning, or at a show. It's just good insurance, and it helps ME sleep better when I know mine is on :).

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I forgot the company that made that 7M cover, but maybe contact them to do the 1J cover (and 2J as I know it would have a market!!!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts