Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my idler pulley on my timing belt, it have always been missing the spacer that goes between the idler pulley and oil pump, as soon i mount the spacer and torque it to 35nm as to spec, the bracket have not smooth movement as the manual says it should have, but if i remove the spacer and torque it to 35nm as spec says, i have freely movement on the bracket, i have a idler pulley from koyo, have anyone else had same problem that can guide me to what my problem is??

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are problems with the length of the stock bolts from toyota. they are to short, i doubt i am the only one.. have same problem on another supra..

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not familiar with the Koyo part, but personally I would get a Toyota idler pulley. The only spacer I recall is basically a washer. Not thick enough to make a bolt too short.

Al
Yes it is possible, i have messure 5 genuine idler pulley bolts, and only 2 out if 5 was at the right size, rest was to short. I have tried 3 genuine idler pulley with same problem, then i got 3 New bolts home and I did found 2 at my workshop, 2 out 3 from Toyota was not the right size, and 1 out of 2 here at home was at the right size.. Dont now what have happend and why, but it is possible.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Koyo is OE and i've been using them for years. where did you find out about the bolt length issue? i've done over a dozen of these and have never had that issue or even heard of it. did it come out of a running motor?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The engine have always run without the spacer/washer between the idler pulley bracket and the oil pump the time i have had it, did then found out there should be a spacer/washer there, and bought one from toyota, after that had problem with the bracket not bearing loose enough because the washer pushes against the oil pump house, and it then dont move freely/smooth with no force.. as it did that with all pulleys there had to be something else wrong, that's way i did ordre some bolts and did some measurements, and did found out there different length on them..

did trye some brackes with the longer bolt from toyota, now i move freely with no force at all when it is touque to 35nm.. the bracket came with no bearing on it, so it was only braket i have fit, and have notice that there are play in the bracket when mountet, what is the tollence for play on the bracket where the bolt goes thrue, it is not much but you kan feel it? it is inside the sleve on the bracket there are play

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
is there damage to the oil pump from running without that spacer? where did you find the bracket with no bearing? i've searched everywhere and it seems you cant get them separate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts