Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Tension the belt using the tensioner with the help of either a big screw driver or a long flat bar. The tensioner is located below the cam gears...you'll see it. It'll require a 14mm socket.

Kruso

·
Registered
451 Posts
Joey-
also check the tsrm. they mention useing two wrenches on both cam gears and pulling them together to remove slack

how did the head come back for ron?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
You rotate the intake cam gear counter clockwise to remove slack b/w it and the crank, then rotate the exh cam gear counter clockwise to remove slack between the gears. Then the tensioner should remove the remaining slack. If it does not then you need to replace the spring and/or the pulley.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Kruso said:
Tension the belt using the tensioner with the help of either a big screw driver or a long flat bar. The tensioner is located below the cam gears...you'll see it. It'll require a 14mm socket.

Kruso
Um...... no.

there is a spring on the idler pulley......... Its the one in the middle of the engine that the back of the belt rides on. That will set the tension for you. After you adjust all of the marks on your motor, manually rotate it a coupe of times in the correct direction, recheck marks, and torque the idler pulley.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
i only know krusos method...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
You don't need that much tension on the timing belt. The tensioner is there for a reason, to provide the correct amount of tension.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Keep in mind that when you're done, you should BARELY be able to twist the long stretch of the belt 90 degrees, if you really work it. We had tons of problems getting the thing tight, and if you don't it can skip if you've torqued your crank pulley bolt properly (190 ft/lbs I believe).

Mine (a brand-new belt) was too loose and skipping at start-up after our rebuild until we actually turned the exhaust cam gear two teeth counter-clockwise (intake gear and crank were at TDC) while holding the tension in the spring, then put the belt over both cam gears and voila, we had our timing belt nice & tight with all marks at TDC. Barely turns 90 degrees, and no more skipping. Best of luck to ya.

And don't hate your Supra, just sell it & get a new car...;-)

Peace

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
BTW I've installed at least 20 timing belts using only the tensioner to provide tension and not a single one of them has ever skipped or had any problems with timing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts