Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been searching here, and on CL.......

My belt jumped a tooth, the other day, on my sc3 (2jzge). Right now Im in the process of trying to get the crank pulley bolt broke loose. I dont have acces to a impact/compressor, so I tryed the starter method, .....it didnt work. Its an auto., so next Im going to try feeding some rope imto the combustion chamber to hold the motor still and put a cheater pipe on the bolt (i guess).

Where can I find the best price on a new belt and tensioner?

Is the the ge and gte tensioner the same?

Also, doesnt toyota have a special tool for breaking the bolt loose?

Jordan

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
use the starter thing...it always works...have someone hold the breaker bar against the ground so it doesnt slip off.

·
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The starter thing did not work. It just hangs up. I even tried it w/ a new battery.

Jordan

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't suggest doing the starter thing, but if you have to - did you spray it with Liquid Wrench or any other penetrating lube before-hand?

I've had to do the same thing and the little sucker came right off.

·
Registered
696 Posts
http://toyota.spx.com

SST 09213-70010 & 09330-00021

These will hold the pulley.

NAforNOW said:
Where can I find the best price on a new belt and tensioner?

Is the the ge and gte tensioner the same?
Talk to Curt Aigner or Jeff Watson in the sponsors section. They should be able to set you straight here.

·
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Im going to talk to this lexus mechanic tommorow to and see if he can lone me the holding tool, and maybe see if hell hook it up w/ that killer employee discount that Im sure he gets.

Im sooooo glad its a non interference motor.

Jordan

·
2,112 Posts
NAforNOW said:
The starter thing did not work. It just hangs up. I even tried it w/ a new battery.
out of the 40 timing belts ive ever done i have never ever had the starter trick not work...if you can not get the starter to break it loose...no impact gun will either...therefore you are either doing something wrong or you are about to have larger problems.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,761 Posts
usually just "shocking" the ratchet or breaker bar willl work, may take a few times though. just whack the end of the ratchet/breaker bar with a hammer pretty hard (make sure you don't miss and bash in your oil pan though)

·
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont see how I could be doing something wrong. Though I havent soaked it w/ penetrating spray yet. I put the breaker bar on the passenger side "frame" rail, and bumped the starter twice, and it didnt budge. I was scared to try it more than that. I figure renting the tool would be cheaper than tearing up my starter, or flywheel.

Im just going to get the holding tool, and put my "4 footer" on it. Im sure it will break, .......or something will break!

The car has 135k miles, and the timing belt has been changed, at around 90k, at the dealer. Seems like it shouldnt be as tough, as if it had never been changed.

Jordan

·
2,112 Posts
put the breaker bar on the ground not the frame...prob gonna need more than just two bumps...i usually let it have it....you arent gonna break anything

·
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it. I used lots of penetrating spray, and let it soak. It took three more bumps, and it broke loose.

Thanks guys.

Jordan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts