Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to reinstall the timing belt tensioner by just bolting it on (not doing the compress and pull the pin)?

the reason i ask, i have two engines on the floor and i am trying to swap cams without removing the crank pulley. is this possible?

thanks

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If you can get the two bolts started without the tensioner compressed it will work. If not, get a slightly longer bolt to get it started and compressed some, start one of the factory bolts and tightened some. Then take out the longer bolt and start the other factory bolt. Tightened evenly. You can compress the tensioner in a vise and put a pin in if you have a vise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my problem is both engines are on the floor and i cannot get the crank pulley bolts out. if i had a sst or the engine was in the car it would be a different story. so, since i cannot remove the crank bolt or pulley, i cannot remove the lower timing cover either, making the pin method not an option.

how's evansville these days? seen my dad out at any car shows :) if so, im sure you've already heard about my engine woes :blah:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
you can take the bolts out half way or almost all the way and just let it hang on by a couple threads, this will allow the tensioner pully to come down enough for you to ter the belt off. when your done you just run the bolts back in.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes you can... all you have to do is get one side of the bolt to the tensioner onto the motor and get it on a few thread as in one or two then keep going to the other bolt see if you can get it started once you do then just go back and forth tightening both side on... make sure you do not cross thread so be careful...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it all went back together pretty smoothly. i didnt pull it all the way out, i just loosened it up.
thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Vman932 said:
my problem is both engines are on the floor and i cannot get the crank pulley bolts out. if i had a sst or the engine was in the car it would be a different story. so, since i cannot remove the crank bolt or pulley, i cannot remove the lower timing cover either, making the pin method not an option.

how's evansville these days? seen my dad out at any car shows :) if so, im sure you've already heard about my engine woes :blah:

Glad you got it. Starting to finally warm up here. I'll probably see him at the cruise-ins this year in town. Good luck on getting things straight with the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts