Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but didn't come up with much. I finished doing my valve stem seals and was putting the timing belt back on. My problem is that the belt jumped a couple of teeth on the crank pulley while I was rotating the crank doing the stem seals. My timing belt and water pump were changed 8k ago, so there was little reason to remove the radiator and pull the harmonic balancer. Can I just set the timing mark on the balancer at "0" and line up the pulleys with the marks on the upper timing belt plate and install the belt? I really don't want to pull the radiator and balancer... This is probably really simple but I just want to make sure I'm not going to screw anything up.

Thanks!

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Jepp,, just line up all three marks on the pulleys and you are fine.
Put it on, turn the crank with a ratchet or wrench two times to be sure it is turning well and then you are all good and call it a day..
Gerd

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a little worried. The engine is running fine, no leaks and no smoke :) . But....... there is a high pitched squealing noise coming from the timing belt/ drive belt area. I used the screwdriver to the ear stethescope method and it isn't coming from the cam cover area. I torqued the cam caps according to the FSM and double checked all of the bolts and the cam bearing and caps as well as the lifters were super clean and coated with lots of assembly lube before everything was assembled. Only things I can think of are the timing belt tensioner pulley bearings or the drive belt tensioner. Should I reset the timing belt tensioner?? Any ideas as to what is wrong or stuff to check would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Remove the timing belt cover and try to "turn" the belt by 90° at the longest part of it being free.
Or check by pushing it. If you have tensioned it too hard (not possible to turn or push it) this might be the root cause. If the tensioner is old it could, of course also be the bearing of it.
A too hard tensioned belt is not good at all for the bearings and the belt itselve..
The same thing applies also to the accessory belt. If it is tensioned to much it may squeal.

Gerd

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gerd, the timing belt has play, with the number 2 cover removed I can turn it 45 deg sideways. I loosened and retorqued the timing belt tensioner, still squealing. I loosened the 2 bolts about 1 turn each to relieve some tension and started the car and its still squealing. I guess it sounds like the tensioner pulley bearing is starting to go. Everything was fine before I removed the belt to pull the cams. One other thing to add, the exhaust cam gear wobbles ever so slightly while the engine is turning. If I remember correctly, it always has from watching it run after changing spark plugs last time with the cover off. Maybe when I reinstalled the cam gear, it is not sitting flush with the cam. Could this be a cause??

Thanks,
J.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Is it a mettalic squealing? How many miles are on the bearings? You could also start the car for a SHORT time w/o the accessory belt and check if the noise is still existing.
If it´s the case I would bet it´s the bearing of the tensioner.

Gerd

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dead right. I picked up a new one yesterday. Just spinning the old one in my hand sounds just like what I was hearing. Thanks for your help guys.

J. :)

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Cool. I am glad you found the cause of it.
Gerd

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hefti2 said:
Jepp,, just line up all three marks on the pulleys and you are fine.
Put it on, turn the crank with a ratchet or wrench two times to be sure it is turning well and then you are all good and call it a day..
Gerd
Just wanted to say thats not very good advise. I think you were being to vague. He could be 180 off. But read more down and you did..

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Sorry but I don´t think so..
If you have all three marks(crank and both camshafts) lined up what can be 180°off?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts