Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys My marks on the harmonic ballancer are at 0 and the marks on my cam gears are pointing DOWN is this correct or are the cam gears supposed to point UP?

·
Registered
824 Posts
no they are meant to be up the top. Cams spin at half the speed of the crank. I am not sure if you are just a rotation off. Try spinning the crank around another 360deg and see if it changes?

·
JZA is best f**k the rest
351 Posts
Don't really know how to explain this that well but, the marks on the cams should point up and align with the marks on the backing plate behind the cam gears. It helps when you use some kind of paint pen and mark the marks on the backing plate so you can see them easier

Jake

·
Registered
824 Posts
just wind it around with a 22m spanner until the mark on the harmonic balancer reaches the 0 deg position on the plastic cover behind it :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
the exhaust cam is not straight up it leans to the right a tiny bit. When you put the belt on make sure it is tight on the right side of the engine. There will be slack in the left side but when you release the tensioner it will pull the belt tight. After you do that you need to turn the engine in the cranking direction a couple times just to make sure it is perfect.

·
351 Posts
Mklll1jz said:
so if all my marks line up it has to be in tdc???
Yes those marks are designed when they are lined up, that cylinder no1 is at TDC. Align the marks up correctly and all will be well.

Jake

·
single 1j
456 Posts
so when installing the timing belt, just make sure the main pulley is set to 0 w/ the cam gear marks pointing up and the timing is set?
but since the we don't have a distributor how do we set the proper timing or is it soppose to be just like that after the marks are set properly?

·
Registered
824 Posts
That is what I want to know also. I have microtech ecu and I need to check ignition timing not cam timing.

I need to check it with a timing light and the only way I know is to get a HT lead, cut it off and jam one end into the coil and the other end on the plug.

Anyone know any other way?

·
351 Posts
slidingsidewayz said:
so when installing the timing belt, just make sure the main pulley is set to 0 w/ the cam gear marks pointing up and the timing is set?
but since the we don't have a distributor how do we set the proper timing or is it soppose to be just like that after the marks are set properly?
yes, all IGNITION timing is controlled by the ecu. You will need aftermarket electronic stuff to mess w/ignition timing.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Use the green wire form the ignitor.. hook it up to your timing gun, works fine for checking ignition time for me.. then sync your map and the gun and you good (standalone)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts