Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just baught this book that teach alot about custom interior and such... anyways is tinting windows preaty hard or easy?

anything i should watch out for?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ive never done it becuase ive been too afraid for it to get all bubbley... u gotta have a lot of patience and make sure alllll the air is out form wa ti know...

·
Registered
689 Posts
seems to me like all self tinted windows look boched. either they wrinkle or bubble or eventually just look warped (fishbowl-like). but im sure if they can do it in shops then you can do just as good of a job if you take the time and know what youre doing.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
u gotta use some kind of heat gun and make sure all the windows are clean before doing it. and u gotta have the window scraper to get all the air out and gotta do it a couple times to make sure its out...i paid for mine but i stayed and watched them do it since the shop was small but they did good job...wasn't really that hard but i wouldn't have been able to do it as i have no patience...i stayed for like two front windows....haha

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
go to miami, they will do it for like $40... dirt cheap

the REAL way they do it, is they lay the film over the OUTside glass, heat it to form with a heat gun. then they trim it to shape. then they stick it on the inside with their spray stuffs...

then they tuck it down into the weather strip on the door, you have to let it sit and cure for a few days, in the heat before you can roll the windows down. if you do, itll peel the tint off.

then, you have to take a sharp knife and trim a 1/8" of tint off from the edge of the glass so its less likely to get pulled back when rubbing against the weather strip on the frame and such.

that said, take it to a professional. they use window tint of a far superiour grade than found at the parts stores.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
about how much will it cost to get a profesional to tint allmy back/trunk windows 100% black and side(pasenger/driver) windows with 5% tint?

and after they tinp the windows do i have to wast for awhile b4 i can roll it down or what?

·
Registered
191 Posts
i just got my windows done, paid 110 dollars, all windows, limo all around. makes it hard to see to the side at night but oh well :p looks good too. AND has a lifetime warranty :-D and in az it cures in a day so i dont have to wait that long haha. bad part was. i got my tint done and the next day my sub was stolen :-/ ...that was a shitty day haha. no broken windows tho woot. anyways, its not that hard looking but the back window is easier the way they do it they have the HUGE rolls so they dont have to do the back window with two pieces. with the stuff you get at the parts store more than likely they will not be big enough for the back window. so you can waste 50 dollars on screwing up or pay 100 or so for a life time warranty. take ur pick

·
Registered
658 Posts
Take it to the professionals.....

I am running 50% on the front windows and 35% on the rears.....looks great.

The big thing about tinting is the window prep. I watched the guy do my windows and it took him about 3 hours to clean the windows (with a razor blade( and about 5 minutes to install the tint. Just to give you an Idea.

David

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i will tell you from experience

in our cars the side windows are cake. It is the back monster that is a major pain in the ass. And the spray stuff we use......it is water with dish washing detergent ;) hehe

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
tinting isnt really easy. takes lots of practice

side windows arent as bad.
But the back windows in these Supras are a bitch . I took mine to a professional and my backs look like shit up close IMO. He said he couldnt get anything in there to spread the tint.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Well i won't even touch our cars.

i had a guy do it. he asked for 150 and gladly gave it to him. I kid you not he did the sides in about 30 minutes. The back windows took him 4 HOURS!!!. After that he said he should have charged me more but there is NO issues with my back window. Hell this guy even made it so the over lap was on one of the defroster lines :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
skyline44_2001 said:
bad part was. i got my tint done and the next day my sub was stolen :-/ ...that was a shitty day haha.
or just dont tint them at all because it makes people wanna break into your car to see what you're hiding.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As with most things that are cosmetic (paint, stripping, tint) it's better to have a professional do it.

I paid $150 CND for my tint (which is fairly expensive) but they did a flawless job and I'm happy with my decision.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
taking the windows out would be best. You wont get your hands in those rears. I tried after the tinter said something to me.

I shoulda just took em all out and got them dipped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts