Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got the Supra on the road today with a 10 day permit. I drove it for 2-3 weeks last summer. I need to have it emissions tested before the 10 days are up to get a new sticker on my plates.

I want to ensure that i pass the emissions test with out problems.

I am looking for tips on passing the test.

I have heard that retarding the timing can be a big help? But turn it back to what?

The car has the BPU upgrades....

Thanks for the help.

Jason

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the car has all of the emissions equipment on it - including the catalytic

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
we have very srict emissions here and mine did whats called "fast pass" meaning it ran so clean they cut the test short and sent me on my way.. but all i had done to the car was CAI , 3" cat-back, and a a bov that was NOT recirculated

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
make sure the car is nice and warmed up before you go get tested.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Spoolme said:
make sure the car is nice and warmed up before you go get tested.
more importantly make sure the CATS are good and hot.. do some highway blasts or some full boosting before pullin into the test station

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
haha. ya, thats what i meant to say but didnt.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
mazzer said:
more importantly make sure the CATS are good and hot.. do some highway blasts or some full boosting before pullin into the test station
lol i used that trick and left the turbo timer on 10 min so it wouldnt get time to cool down

besides that, when i missed i used seafoam through the motor and dropped 100 on nox, not saying you need to but thats what i did, just make sure its tuned and not running like crap and you should be good

<l><l>

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
snake eyes said:
lol i used that trick and left the turbo timer on 10 min so it wouldnt get time to cool down

besides that, when i missed i used seafoam through the motor and dropped 100 on nox, not saying you need to but thats what i did, just make sure its tuned and not running like crap and you should be good

<l><l>
seafoam does wonders on higher miliage cars.. when i did my head i notcied HEAVY carbon built up ontop of my pistons. i ran seafoam through it last week and it was so built up it smoked for about 2 days.lol

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
and if your really pariond about passing, ( car smokes or you can smell fumes or some thing, ) and you just really dont think it will, you can pull a fuel injector clip prior to going in a few blocks ahead, and then clip it back in around the corner from the building,

what this does it pump more oxygen into the cat since once cylinder is being an air pump, and that cat will get soooo hot from the extra oxygen

but dont forget to plug it back in because they have ways to determine if you pumping air,

the co2 number will be off for the vehical i belive,

if i remember right, the o2 senser will read it went lean, and add more fuel the remaing injectors..

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
i just unbolted my aftermarket exhaust, and bolted up my stocker and passed with flying colours.

If you have both cats, and a working egr system, a decent o2 sensor you should be fine.

Also, make sure you have a good gas cap because they pressure test it i believe

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
i passed with a old cat, no egr and full 3 inch exhaust and hard pipes, venting to atmophear

though i live in a pretty green state and i dont think our emissions are as strict as some states..

edit~ now that i thnk about it, after i gutted my cat I ran a 5 gas anyliser at my college, were learing about emissions right now , and my car only failed in parked hydro carbons. i think it passed on cruise.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm in Ontario and my '87T Supra passed the driveclean thing just fine and it has 240K on it. And, I've replaced the top cat with a downpipe. So I'm one cat short.

The only thing I've had go wrong is Nitrous Oxides (NO) too high and that's almost always a plugged up EGR valve. So, a warm engine properly tuned up, some nice Sunoco94 in there, a clean air filter and she should be good to go...

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
Actually i just passed aircare last week and while inspecting my engine later on i noticed that the O2 sensor wasn't on all the way..... The nuts where like halfway off.
So exhaust gasses where escaping but the O2 Sensor was still reading enough exhaust. I think that would give just about any turbo supra a passing grade.

·
Registered
147 Posts
when i bought the car it was a labeled GP already. didnt pass the 1st time after putting a new engine in. 2nd time i replaced the o2, and used seafoam and passed but just barely =/
used stock exhaust with stock cats

87t

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TrueNorthSupra said:
I'm in Ontario and my '87T Supra passed the driveclean thing just fine and it has 240K on it. And, I've replaced the top cat with a downpipe. So I'm one cat short.

The only thing I've had go wrong is Nitrous Oxides (NO) too high and that's almost always a plugged up EGR valve. So, a warm engine properly tuned up, some nice Sunoco94 in there, a clean air filter and she should be good to go...

Hey TrueNorthSupra,

I guess it couldnt hurt to change the EGR valve - where is it located on the 7mgte?

Thanks

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
If your like me and your car has been down, and for it to get back on the road it needs emmissions. Im sure the battery was disconnected and it hasnt really been driven too much, the computer needs to re-learn all its stuff. Drive around for a good 50 miles before hand. I made a mistake like that with my saab... the Hc limit was like 120 and i scored a 120... barely passed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts