Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I, like many of you mkiii owners had oxidation on my throttle body, and decided to take it off. There are a couple of things to stay away from and a couple of things that work really well.

My throttle body BEFORE

Don't

Dont use any type of Degreaser, or if you do use sparingly.

The first thing I did was let the throttle body soak overnight in a degreasing solution

BAD IDEA!!!

when i removed the TB from the solution some type of chemical reation occured and I had black soot all over the place.

I then hosed it down and put in carb cleaner, and that didnt remove soute.

Then I took it to a sanding wheel and tht helped, but the TB is to intricate to go at it w/ tht... notice the soot on my gloves

DO
After this attemp i decided to use a sand blaster to get everything nice and ready to prep

after sand blasting I applied 3 coats of aluminum colored engine paint , then 3 coats of clear coat.

Here is my final product

Havent put back on car, everything is still in pieces, but when they go back together I wont be ashamed to lift my hood.

cassio

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, yeah my friend has all the stuff I need, comes from generations of his family, all Ive had to help buywas an engine lift, and I had to get an engine stand for my 7mgte

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..yeah i bet thats what I would have done if I hadnt used that parts cleaner and got tht funky reaction w/ the aluminum. But Im glad I sand blasted it and painted it. Looks Mint now. I also did the same w/ my intake heres a before and after pic

Before

After

I dont think Im going to paint this one aluminum, just going to apply clear coat.... unfortunately I work all weekend so Im screwed..until Tues.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Corrosion has nevr been an issue for me. Perhaps my toothbrush, silicone spray, blue paper towel regimen is not a widely accepted underhood cleaning practice, LOL. Your final result looks great, but remember- it's easier to keep it clean, than it is to get something cruddy, clean again.

Anyway, it looks like your TB coolant lines went to shi+. You live in FL, so you don't need that part anyway:

Heh, looks pretty good. Too bad it's the bottom, LOL.

Take care.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its true if you keep it clean all the time you wont have to do what I did, but unfortunately i bought the car soon after its 16th birhday, ao I had no choice ;) yours looks great... i assure you mine wont be like the before pic as long as I have my hands on it.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
cassio said:
Its true if you keep it clean all the time you wont have to do what I did, but unfortunately i bought the car soon after its 16th birhday, ao I had no choice ;) yours looks great... i assure you mine wont be like the before pic as long as I have my hands on it.
Aye, Captain!
Inheritance is not always peaches & cream, LOL.

Good luck w/the rest of your project...if you're doing those parts, I know you've got some way to go before yer done!

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, Ill have more as time goes by.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,996 Posts
For sake of not starting a new thread.... you may also use this technique for cleaning heat shields... I used a little detergent to break off the big chunks, and carb-cleaner with some steel wool to shine it up... and it makes a big difference when you're done.

:) I love what you have done to your tb.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ill do that with my exhaust manifold shield.

thnx

A

·
0 Posts
As far as I've ever learnt, sand blasting parts of the intake is a :nono:

It's virtually impossible to ensure you've gotten all of the sand lodged in the throttle body/intake plenum out. It will eventually dis-lodge and make it's way down the intake track into your engine, into the oil and chewing up your bottom end bearings.

They invented bead blasting for parts like this, IMHO! :cool:

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well tell home depot to stock them...LOL.. as for the sand i gave it a 15min air pressure shower followed by water then more air then Preps all for the paint then more water.... oh yeah then another blast of air.... so I think I got it ;) LOL

B

·
0 Posts
I have my engine out...glad I found this thread. My heat shields look sweet now, debating painting em.

My intakes in worse shape than the one shown above. How would you clean the inside of the intake without sandblasting or beadblasting?

·
Can't touch this!
1,404 Posts
Get it ceramic coated!

Can the throttle body be ceramic coated?

I'm basically getting my whole engine bay done in ceramic coating and silver clear powdercoating so it would be nice to spruce up the old tb!

Thanks

Jason (this ones for you Jared) heh :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used kitchen cleaner that had bleach added, and that just took off grease from the intake manifold, thermostat housing, throttle body, turbocharger, ignitor pack without breaking a sweat. You simply spray a few shots at it, use a brush for a quick scrub, and then rinse with water or a damp cloth.

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
use B-12 chemtool.. it works like a miracle!!

leave it in the bucket for about an hour or two. then presto its all shiny clean.. sometimes u have to wipe off. use carb cleaner or brake cleaner to spray some stubborn residues stuck in the corners. it works damn good!! less work cleaning parts up!

while using that. DO NOT put in with any parts that has electronic parts. or plastic parts cuz it will melt!!

i notice the TPS was removed.. was it difficult to align it when installing?

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I havent reinstalled any of the components yet, I still have the engine out, so that wont be for a while... hopefully the next 2 weeks, i will statrt putting engine back together... after I paint the engine, and the engine bay black :).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts