Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yea, my car has been sitting for probably about the last 1 year and 3 months.

Just trying to figure out what to do to get her started as she definitely doesn't want to. My AEM calibration started fine before storage so don't think it could be anything associated with that. I guess I'm looking for everything other than the obvious.

Here's what I've done so far:
-Plugs
-Fuel Filter
-Siphon gas

Changed all fluids well.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
chnco said:
So yea, my car has been sitting for probably about the last 1 year and 3 months.

Just trying to figure out what to do to get her started as she definitely doesn't want to. My AEM calibration started fine before storage so don't think it could be anything associated with that. I guess I'm looking for everything other than the obvious.

Here's what I've done so far:
-Plugs
-Fuel Filter
-Siphon gas

Changed all fluids well.

Ideas?
Well the most obvious would be the battery is drained, either recharge it or get an new one...

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
Is there a possibility you lost your tune? Was the battery disconected?
How does it not start? Slow crank? What?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
As everyone has said I'd reflash the aem with your old cal and charge up the batt. Crank it over and check your fuel pressure.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the calibration on the AEM and it's still the same one as I had before. No changes in the car other than it sitting for a while.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
98mkiv said:
just start the fucker. You don't need to do anything else. IIRC the AEM saves to nonvolatile memory, so you should not lose cal regardless of battery being in the car or not.

-M
after a dead battery replaced I couldn't start mine either,all the settings were wiped out,after a phone call to AEM,and few minutes it was running, still runs like shit, but I'll get it tuned once I'm done working out other issues

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
remove intake pipe on throttle body, crank over engine, if it doesn't start pull plugs and see if wet (with fuel) if they are you have an ignition problem, then look further for possible obstruction in intake or maybe a mouse got in there and chewed wires. I'd look for power at igniter and so on....

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car is cranking over, but not firing or even burping. I have an AEM C2DI on it as well.

I'll try taking off the intake pipe and see what happens.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
hook a laptop up to your aem and watch the parameters as you start it... make sure you are getting sync, the injectors are firing and you are getting a good timing reading. if you are missing one of the above you need to fix that first.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did check the AEM parameters to make sure it is syncing and injectors are firing.

Timing is good, I tried advancing a few degrees to help with start up and still no go :(

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
I always start "no-start" diagnostics the same way. Engine needs 3 things to run:
1) Compression
2) Fuel
3) Ignition

No change in compression should have happned, so that's probably not it. But you should really check to see if you have fuel or spark. The AEM C2DI is notorious for poor reliability (even the AEM fans admit it). There's any number of ways you can check for spark. Pick your favorite and run with it. All the calibration changes in the world won't make the engine start if the ignition box is dead.

Likewise for fuel.....you can probably hear if your fuel pump turns on or not. If you have something like a "Noid Light" set you can actually see if the injectors are getting the signal to fire or not.

I do agree with others that something to do with mice/mouse is the most likely suspect. Unless it was in a *very* enclosed garage far away from any food source.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tips guys!

I figured out the problem. Took the plugs out and grounded them to see if they spark, and it was a no go.

Sticked the jumper in the AEM CDI, and car cranked right up!

POS CDI.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
cord4530 said:
Engine needs 3 things to run:
1) Compression
2) Fuel
3) Ignition

That is exactly what my dad used to tell me when I was agonizing over my go-kart, mini-bike, motorcycle 30 years ago - all with points-and-condenser ignitions and carburetors.

It is still true today, and as long as we have internal combustion engines it will be true, and is always the place to start diagnosing.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Great to hear you figured out the problem and have the car back to life again. I'm sure it's eager to get driven again!

Ya Rich....I got it from my dad as well. He took auto shop from "Mr. Chilton" himself all too many ages ago (40's?) I've found it as useful today as it was back then.

G

·
I am having the same problem, but I'm on stock ecu.... I have spark - pulled coils and plugs and grounded each... I have fuel - plugs are wet and injectors are firing... Timing is right and compression is good. Does anybody have any Ideas as to Y it won't start? I even tried using "starting fluid" in case i wasn't getting fuel. but still no luck.... its a 94 obd1.... Any help would be great. I drove to carlisle and back with no problems. pulled it out of my garage and when I put it in drive it stalled and hasn't started since..... AAAAHHHHH I'm gonna scream

1 - 20 of 32 Posts