Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is a compatible tiptronic tranny that could be used with a supra tt or n/a auto engine, also would there be any major hassles or would you need to program an aftermarket tcm? this is just an idea at the moment but i am trying to work out what would be involved and knowledge is still limited :( so any help even somewhere where i could find some more info would be great :)
Thanks Greg

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
The 99+ have a tiptronic function, but they are drive by wire and it would be extremely expensive/practically impossibly to try to figure out how to make it work with the Supra ECU, plus who knows how strong the JDM tranny is.

I believe that Veilside and/or HKS has a sequential 6-speed tranny available for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k.

·
Moved to the dark side
989 Posts
The japanese transmission is exactly the same as the export transmissions. I don't know if the tip tronic feature is in the main ECU or some seperate unit. I assume the main ECU. And this is quite a problem as the Jap spec ECU uses different air mass sensor (PIM or MAP instead of MAF). And it's limited to 180 km/h as well. I know of some projects with 'do it yourself tiptronic' after all it's just a binairy coded signal for two solenoids and a lockup solenoid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the reply's at the moment i would not look at taking the 180+ limiter out or overide it till my higher speed driving skill gets better so that isnt a problem.
Arnout - so technically i could get a japan supra with Map sensor system and load a tip tranny into it and the ecu aswell, but then i take it there may be other differences in the electronics between the '99 and other years which i would have to work around.

RSA Supra - have now checked out the jun, veilside and stillway sequential shifter and isnt exactly what i am looking for, i'm not be too lazy to figure out how to get the tiptronic installed but i would be too lazy to press the clutch for each shift ;)

Looks like either way i am gonna be saving quite a few more dollars before i can get it done either way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts