Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This company in Sweden has already made a tiptronic gear change to 300ZX TT autos and is now developing a same kind of a system to MKIV TT's.

Lookie:
http://www.ess-racing.com/

I wonder if it puts more strain on the tranny? Sounds like a cool gadget..

-Krister-

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
I think some supras in Japan came with a tiptronic system.

Off topic: What is the point of tiptronic? If you want to shift get a manual in the first place. (I'm not bashing autos. I just don't understand tiptronic.)

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the response I got from ESS Racing when I asked about any additional strain to the autotranny:

----
Hello Krister!
The only harm the system does to the tranny is that more heat is
generated if you keep the transmission at low gear and drive it "hard".
This would also happen if you shift down the transmission using the gear
selector lever and drive e.g. on a track, so this has nothing to do
with the SAW system itself, more with how you drive.

There is an oil temperature monitor feature with alarm in the SAW
system, that will help you keep track of the oil temp.

You can take a look at our home page www.ess-racing.com for more details
about the system itself and the built in functions.
As for shiftng the gears, there are two buttons on the steering wheel
(up-shift and down-shift) that you control the shifting with.

The system costs 6000SEK incl. VAT. (That's $711)
---

Sounds very interesting.

And Mary-Kate, I think the point of this Tiptronic system is that you dont have to take your hand of the steering wheel when changing gears, and it's a PITA to try to change gears manually in an automatic car. There's always the risk that you jump a gear or put in Neutral. This would get rid of those problems.

-Krister-

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mary-Kate Olsen said:
I think some supras in Japan came with a tiptronic system.

Off topic: What is the point of tiptronic? If you want to shift get a manual in the first place. (I'm not bashing autos. I just don't understand tiptronic.)
I think that tiptronic is a great solution for the automatic tranny!!
You still has all the comfort of an auto, but you have the possibility to drive it like a manual and get a sportier feeling :)
Don't be so negative Mary-kate....

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
I have always wondered if anyone has used the Japanese Tiptronic (I believe they have 5speed instead of 4) or the Lexus sequential shift on our mkiv auto Supras. What's the point of doing it? To be less painful in traffic and enjoy the shifting when need.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Sounds interesting but I cannot help but wonder if the trans will still retard timing on the shift. You could also get the AEM to shift the trans like that too I'll bet.

Somewhere here I've seen pics of someone else's homemade box for doing this. It migh tbe possible to do it for far less thna $700..

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe the parts are less than $100 but the software code costs $600...

Hope the development goes good... Would love to try this system.

-Krister-

·
Supraholic
739 Posts
yes in japan the MKIV was sold with tiptronic. ive you want to put it in ouer MKIV´s you have to buy an other tranny as far as i know.but it isnt faster like a 6speed trann cause it havent a gearwheelidentification like the BMW M3 with tiptronic.

cu Andy

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think so... I'm pretty sure that you put it on D and then switch on the tiptronic box..

Krister

·
Scuzi!
1,394 Posts
so are they for sure making this for the supra or is it 300zx only? also, wouldnt a tranny cooler solve the heating problem they are talking about? hell i`d put 2-3 coolers on if i could, sounds like a fun kit to have.

·
0 Posts
I started another thread about this. Seems they couldn't find a Supra to test / tune the system. Now they're saying it could take until next year to release it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
AtlSupra said:
I have always wondered if anyone has used the Japanese Tiptronic (I believe they have 5speed instead of 4) or the Lexus sequential shift on our mkiv auto Supras. What's the point of doing it? To be less painful in traffic and enjoy the shifting when need.
no, they only have 4 spds - unless I just got ripped off and can't find fifth :)

however the Aristo has a 5 spd auto.

BLKMGK: whats funny is that on mine, when I'm flat to the floor accelerating it actually seems that the drive-by-wire lets off the throttle for an instant as it performs the change - as I'll get a sharp blow-off. haven't ever been able to film under the hood to see whats really going on though.

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
quick_dry, how does the tiptronic work in mkiv supra? Are they the same tranny as regular auto transmission? Do they use the same gauge cluster like nornal mkiv or there is special cluster that shows which gear you are in? I am very curious about it, take some pics :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts