Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am in the market for rubber for my set of mk4 17's. I need a tire that will grip extremely well (say on a car that is pushing over 500 RWHP) however, I want them to be a street tire as well (I am getting a separate set of drag radials for the track). I have heard the Kumho MX tires are awesome for grip. any thoughts? suggestions? Thanks! Trev87supraturbo

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
I run the MX's on my mk4. I am very pleased for the cheap price. They do wear quick, tho. But then again, I don't treat them very nice :D I've also run the ecsta supras, and they are good too.

Christian

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
If you want the best go for Bridgestone SO3s. I run the Kumho Ecsta Supras on my daily driver and they leave a lot to be desired from a handling standpoint. Pricewise you can't beat the Kuhmos though.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
If you've got the money the S03's are awesome. If you're on a budget, for less then half the cost the Yokohama AVS ES100's have a lot of grip with good treadwear.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Running the Kumho Supra712's, nice tire in the rain, decient on dry pavement, kinda slippery in the cold however.
They handle light snow even at 255F and 275R. (Almost brand new at the time.)
I'm thinking of going with the Yoko's Bishop is talking about, but I also am running some 245/40 18's on my wife's car from Hankook the K104's, and they rock, so those are in the possible list too.
Both the Supra712's and K104's are very quiet on the street, run true and are wearing well. Of the two, I'd have to say the K104's are a better tire. (Very sticky in the cold, they start to pick up sand and gravel where the 712's would not, and they are wearing well.)
Dry grip with either tire is amazing. Well beyond the limits of what I'm willing to push either car. (Wife has 94 Q45, so it handles very nice too, think 4 door Supra :)

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
the 712s are a great budget choice, but lack grip.

the MXs are really nice, i've been running them for a while.

the best tire you can buy is the BFG gforce TA KD.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My buddy w/ a DET B13 SE-R goes through tires like crazy (I guess 1st-3rd gear burnouts will do that). He just bought a set of Falken Ziex 512's dirt cheap from www.driverfx.com and he said the grip is amazing - no more spinning in 3rd :-(

Discountiredirect has them too, both places currently have free shipping.

I found a web-site with a bunch of reviews and most everyone seemed to love them. I just ordered a set for the sc300, if they are as great as everyone says I'm going to try those on my mkiv wheels too. I know I have been very pleased with Falken's other products (the Azenis for track use).

S

·
0 Posts
I'm for Michelin Pilots, both my NA and my moms G35 sedan have them. They are great especially in the cold. They are a bit expensive but you cant go wrong with them.
Derek

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
I've had Pilot Sports and I like the SO3s better myself. Biggest downside to the Pilots is that they are noisy, ride like crap, and cost 25% more than the next most expensive tire. KDs are supposed to be great, but they seem to be more intended for autoX street tire class than anything.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't know if you can get them in the size you want, but I just bought Hankook K104's for the stock size. I LOVE these tires. They are exactly the same tread design as the Pilot sport, but they cost about 1/2 or less. It is interesting to note that Hankook is in cahoots with Michelin, apparently Mich/BFG/Uniroyal (known as MAST) owns a little bit of Hankook. Good tire though, really happy w/ my purchase!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts