Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a thread dedicated to various tires that have done well in competition use. I was thinking we could list applicable classes (Scca) and opinions on cost vs. wear and traction. Maybe for auto-x use and Road racing.

Something along the lines of:
Kuhmo MX, Falken Azenis, BFG KD - Street tire classing eligible (Auto-x)
Cost - Reasonable price
Dry traction - Your opinion (I have no idea)
Wet traction - Your opinion
Wear - # of events typical before greasy/corded/poor grip
Response - turn in/agility response

I don't have any experience except for on some old street tires so I'll leave that out.
Thanks, I think this could be helpful to the less experienced folks (like myself)
Brian

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've used pole position SO3,BFG KD,pilot sports,htrz2 and used up 20 sets of hoosiers from the R3SO3 to the R3SO5s and also used hoosier GAC series tires.
Nothing that is a street tire can compare with hoosiers. The street tires are as follows in order of grip KD,SO3,HTRZ2,pilot sport last. As far as the hoosiers go The GAC tires wore the best then the R3SO3 then the R3S05 the R3SO4 wore the worst.The R3SO4 had an adge wear problem. But for $129 bucks I just bought a set. Traction was about the same on all the hoosiers incredible.

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,570 Posts
bart97 said:
I've used pole position SO3,BFG KD,pilot sports,htrz2 and used up 20 sets of hoosiers from the R3SO3 to the R3SO5s and also used hoosier GAC series tires.
Nothing that is a street tire can compare with hoosiers. The street tires are as follows in order of grip KD,SO3,HTRZ2,pilot sport last. As far as the hoosiers go The GAC tires wore the best then the R3SO3 then the R3S05 the R3SO4 wore the worst.The R3SO4 had an adge wear problem. But for $129 bucks I just bought a set. Traction was about the same on all the hoosiers incredible.

It should be noted that the above review is from a roadcourse/ lapping days perspective. Right Terry? :)

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was hoping folks would point out, whether they were used for track or auto-x.

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
Falken Azenis RT-615 (205/40/16) (autox)
Cost - ~$100 each
Dry traction - excellent
Wet traction - excellent
Wear - 25 autox events + 10k agressive street miles
Response - excellent. these are almost a race tire, they aren't quite as stiff or grippy.

Comments - The previous Azenis model, the RT-215, was known for having poor grip in standing water and overheating easily. IMO the RT-615 has addressed these issues pretty well, although I never experienced any major problems with the many sets of 215s I had. Grip and turn-in is slightly reduced on the RT-615 compared to the RT-215.

Kuhmo MX (205/50/15), Hankook Ventus RS2 (225/45/16) (autox)

Cost - ~$100 each
Dry traction - excellent
Wet traction - excellent
Wear - don't know yet
Response - Not as good as the Azenis Rt-615, but close.

Comments - I put these two tires together because I feel that they are about the same in price and performance.

I just started using my first set of Kumho v710s in 225/50/15 on my SM2 Miata. I love them so far, and I will post a review after I have some more experience on them. Currently they have ~18 runs on them, so I am still getting used to them, braking them in, and modifying my suspension settings.

·
Registered
531 Posts
brian94ht said:
It should be noted that the above review is from a roadcourse/ lapping days perspective. Right Terry? :)
Yes that is from roadcourse perspective, but I have driven the hoosiers on the street/canyon to break them in so I have a good comparison with the street tires in the same canyon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've autocrossed all the modern high-performance 140+treadwear street tires. The Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 and Bridgestone Potenza RE01-R are the two top tires, but for most people their extra cost isn't worth their small edge over the ubiquitous Falken Azenis RT-615, which is the right choice for most people most of the time.

The only other tire of note is the Kumho Ecsta MX, which does well in higher temp situations; it comes into its element where the others start to fall off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
grassroots Motorsports has a great review... But i can not seam to find the link here at work... I do have it at home and when i get there i will post it.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Also from a roadcourse perspective, I've gone thru a few sets of Kumho Victoracers on stock MkIV wheels.
cost: very reasonable
dry traction: very good, far superiour to any street tire, but probably (I have no direct comparison yet) not as good as Hoosiers or even the Kumho V710 (I'll be using the 710 shortly)
wet traction: they have a few shallow grooves and handle wet traction (on the track) quite well, some use them as a racing rain tire
wear: depends how hard you can drive = my first set lasted at least several track days but the last set only lasted less than 3 track days
response: quite stiff sidewall gives very good response (to me they feel far stiffer than any street tires I've ever had)
I've used Victoracers on the street too, great traction initially but in short order they eventually heat cycle and get hard and loose most of the traction.

On the street, since last summer and quite a few thousand miles so far (I'll have to check actual milage and edit this when I know) I've been using Pirelli Corsas on my 18" street wheels, 255/35F and 285/30R; they are R compound but from what I pick up here and there they are somewhat of an "endurance" compound that can take more heat cycling than some other tires without loosing compliance. So far I love them, but they are slippery when quite cold (I hardly ever use them that way), very good wet traction since they have substantial grooves to allow water to squish out.
cost: seems mid to high'ish but worth it to me since traction is never a problem
dry traction: not quite as soft as Victoracers but still way better than any street tire I've had (including the MX)
wet traction: few times I've been in the rain, no apparent problem but I was not racing.
response: they feel quite a bit softer sidewall than Victoracers, so to me that makes them more comfortable and compliant for street use where you can use a little impact absorption.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Street tire -
Kumho MX
Very inexpensive
Good dry and reasonable wet traction.
Can be used on the track - they let you know what's going on.

Road course-
Kumho Victoracer
Good price
Great dry traction
Decent wet traction until they start to wear.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have had Kumho Victoracers which Vicsupra can attest to. I have had Kumho MXs as well all on OEM wheels for track events. I can not attest to the new Falkens but have tracked the prior models on a Honda track car and someone's slightly modded miata.

Victoracers are r compounds so well they are faster. They also wear out quicker but are long lasting for a R compound. Fairly cheap for a "race" tire.

Kumho MXs were a good tire for the money. Sticky. As noted in the Grassroots article they are good at higher temps so for street tire track work especially for someone like me in the South, that is a plus. A good tire gone greasy early is no longer a good tire. I ran through the rears at 5,000 miles with zero toe though.

New falken look to be fast but I don't know tire sizes for Supras though. Older style Azenis had very good turn in response for a street tire. Almost respond as fast as an r compound which I like. Good grip. Predictable. Last reasonably well.

Ran RA-1 Toyos on my Honda, duable but then I was running already heat cycled freebies. Can't complain. Larry Markert ran RA-1 on his wide body supra as his daily tire.

I currently run fresh Kumho V710s on my Honda track car and really like the tire.

Barry H.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
bwill said:
New falken look to be fast but I don't know tire sizes for Supras though. Older style Azenis had very good turn in response for a street tire. Almost respond as fast as an r compound which I like. Good grip. Predictable. Last reasonably well.

Barry H.

The RT-615 comes in 245/45/17 for the fronts and 275/40/17 for the rears to fit the stock rims.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE01-R do not come in wide enough sizes for our cars (meaning mkiv's). Otherwise, I would already have them on my Supra.

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A PP - Anyone? (Ferrari Enzo tires.)

Toyo RA1 for the person on a budget looking to get decent wear, grip, consistent, predicitable. Club racers use the full tread RA1 for their rain tires. Awesome for the street. Great for the intermediate road racer to advanced road racer.

Hoosier race tires for the person who can afford to get a new set of tires every 1 to 2 track weekends. Greasy at maximum, but they operate best when seeming to slide. Not recommended for the street. Recommended for those looking to extract that last second out on the track. Not recommended for those with little track experience. Recommended for the advanced road racer who can extract the performance that these offer. Little warning at limit.

Pirelli Corsa.. not really a race tire.. more like an aggressive compound for the street looking to do the occasional weekend DE. Handles well on the track.. but there are plenty of faster tires out there.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup - no personal experience, but have heard good reviews from track users. Probably one of the better tires out there. Personally, never been a fan of Michelin tires due to the fact that they feel greasy at higher temps and at their limit. But if F1 and Sportscar racing says anything, they've had a considerable track record. Will probably be looking into these since they have the sizes I need for the street.

The thing to consider, especially for the beginner road racer, is stick with street tires. These will give you plenty of warning before the limit. They will warn you that you need to back down and concentrate on your skills vs. going as fast as you can and then throwing a hail mary and hope that your tires stick. The higher the performance on a tire, the less warning they will give you and before you know it you're in trouble.

As many have said: Worry about the seat to control interface before you worry about the equipment.

Regards,
James R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts