Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
245/50/16's

I've run them, brand new tires all four corners on the stock sawblade wheels. No tread roll in and no rubbing at all. If I'm correct, stock sawblades are 38MM offset. An 8" wide rim would be required with 45 aspect ratio tires, but regardless, this size rubber fits well up front, much larger than stock (see calculator for tire dimensions).

Punch these numbers into the calculator as "stock tire size" and compare them to 17, 18, 19 and 20" tire sizes. This will give you an accurate size for what will fit up front.

What I need to know is what is the biggest tire anyone's ever put under the rear of a stock MKIII? Size and offset please?

Tire Size Calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Thanks,
Rajun

Rajunz

H

·
0 Posts
I just ordered some 18 X 8.5 rims covered in 225-40-18 Kuhmos from Discount Tire. I haven't had them mounted on the car yet, but I've dealt with the store manager/sales rep there before, and he has never led me wrong. He guarantees that size will work with no scrub. He said the MKIII will actually take up to a 19 X 8.:cool:

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
i keep forgetting who, it might have been Ultra7M, but someone had 315s in the rear of their MKIII, at stock height i think. apparantly it stuck out 1/2", but didnt rub. of course, they never posted pictures for us to drool over....

H

·
0 Posts
hard_drive_j said:
I just ordered some 18 X 8.5 rims covered in 225-40-18 Kuhmos from Discount Tire. I haven't had them mounted on the car yet, but I've dealt with the store manager/sales rep there before, and he has never led me wrong. He guarantees that size will work with no scrub. He said the MKIII will actually take up to a 19 X 8.:cool:
I talked to David at Discount Tire (mentioned above) this morning. He said that we would be glad to meet and beat any other company's prices, and he's working on doing a 10? SOGI discount on top of that. Even more importantly, he said for any of you guys to feel free to call the number above with any questions you may have. :)

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
Ultra7M said:
I only have 285's on my car. 285/30/19. A 315 wiuld be hard to stuff in there.

Ultra7M
30s?! God damn those must be thin. Probably looks like a black rubber band stretched around the rim.

·
0 Posts
Ultra7M, I'm not kidding when I say this, but you are building my dream Supra. Does are my favorite rims. Looks excellent!

T

·
0 Posts
Can you put a 275 on a 8" rim? Or is the biggest like a 255? And if you could, would it be a 275/40 or 45, and on the 255 a 40 or 45.

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
I'm running MK4 wheels with 245/45/17's in the front and 275/45/17's in the rear. BTW, my car is lowered with Eibach's and Koni's. Slight rubbing problem in the front, but only under HARD turns. The normal driver would never notice. The only time I rub is when I'm autocrossing.

I

·
0 Posts
tire sizes/rim sizes

I'm ordering some 18 inch rims, do these sizes sound right (just wanna make sure i don't screw anything up before I put them on). Front 18x8.5 245/40/18... Back 18x9.0 275/35/18.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I've done lots of research on this....

18x10 is a no go with a 285-30-18. Too much tire. You could get a 275 or 265 on a 10 wide, or run a 9.5 wide, and run a 285. This is with stock suspension. A coilover setup may yield some more room between the wheel and the shock as the shock will be a smaller diameter.

Ultra runs a Tein setup with 18x10 +45s and 285-30s out back. he is the only one that I konw of doing a 10 wide, with a 285-30 mounted up with no fender mods.

FWIW, a 18x10 +43 gave me about 7/16 of an inch between the wheel and the shock tower. This is with the car up the air. If the car was on the ground, it may have given me more clearance.

I've found that tires also play a role in what can be used. A toyo proxie is a more rounded tire compared to an S-03. You could run a 285 proxie where a 285 s-03 would rub.

Myself, I'm going with 18x9 (as the wheel isn't available in 9.5) with a 285-30 out back. I suspect I'll switch to a 10 wide once I mount up the wheel and see how much room there is. :)

·
Racing is Living
1,012 Posts
i keep forgetting who, it might have been Ultra7M, but someone had 315s in the rear of their MKIII, at stock height i think. apparantly it stuck out 1/2", but didnt rub. of course, they never posted pictures for us to drool over....

I used to have a set of BFG dr's on some rear TT rims. I have stock suspension and they did rub, so I haad to get a 3/8" spacer to run them. The spacer did just fine and I only used them twice racing, I sold them because I needed the money. Now I just have the 275/40/17 BFG tires on the same rims.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: tire sizes/rim sizes

importrcr824 said:
I'm ordering some 18 inch rims, do these sizes sound right (just wanna make sure i don't screw anything up before I put them on). Front 18x8.5 245/40/18... Back 18x9.0 275/35/18.
Those sound like they should fit nicely. Somewhere around a 45mm offset will work if you want to lower the car at a later date. 38mm offset will give you more of a wheel lip but may rub if you try and slam it down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts