Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, hows your weekend.

well i need to know from your past knowledge (no bull plz) on what would be the best tire size to put on some 18x9 rims i am looking at. vulcantire.com has a smoking deal on some falken 245/40 zr18s. would they work well and not look off kilter or would they mess with the speedo/tranny to much?

thanks

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
A 245/40/18 tire will make the speedometer read 3.5% slow (ie when you're speedometer says 60mph, you'd be going 62)

It will also fit fine on a 9" wide wheel (the wheel could be up to 9.5" wide and still be OK). You could fit up to a 275 wide tire on that wheel and still be within tire manufacture specs (although I'm sure plenty of people have run larger). However it may or may not fit well within your wheel wells.

Long story short, assuming the offset on your 18X9" wheels is reasonable, you'd have no problems running 245 tires on the mk3

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the offset is +35 they are adr version II's, so would a 35 be required so the speedometer doesnt read slow? thanks for your previous advice :D

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
NecroCyde said:
the offset is +35 they are adr version II's, so would a 35 be required so the speedometer doesnt read slow? thanks for your previous advice :D

I'd find a 3% difference to be acceptable. In my experience, most speedometer's read about that much higher than true (based on passing stationary radar traps).

However, if you can find that falken in a 245/35/18, you'll end up with essentially a stock-sized diameter (speedometer would be 0.4% fast, so at an indicated 60mph you'd be going 59.7mph)

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
NecroCyde said:
offset doesnt have anything to do w/ the speedo. offset is the distance from the center of the rim to the mounting surface. + is towards the fender lip of the center and - is towards the strut from the center. the number is the distance in mm.

you just need to do the math to figure the tire height.

(width x profile) x 2 then divide by 25.4 then + the size of the rim

stock size 225/50/16 is 24.86" tall

245/40/18 is 25.72" tall

edit: oh maybe you meant 35 as in profile, not offset. well anyway there is the math to figure it out, altho there is prob a website that will calculate it for you

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yah i meant 35 profile and the offset is also 35 sorry i didnt clarify. hell only that much taller? that will look great, even room for lowering springs! i would get wider and a more slim tire but cash is a issue.

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh the tires for sale are falken ze512 245/40 zr18 93, for 117 US dollars a tire, 512 for a set shipped. vulcantire.com rocks.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
put some 265's on there... they are as wide as 295's. the carcass designs for 18" rims seem to run wider than 17"s. my friend has some 265's on his TSW 18's and they are wide. they measure the same width as a 295 for a 17" rim. its weird and illogical, i know. but its the shoulder, profile and carcass design that all contribute.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts